Leeds United: Redfearn confident of securing services of Thompson

Yorkshire Evening Post 20/11/14
by Phil Hay and Leon Wobschall
NEIL Redfearn remains confident that Leeds United will secure his preferred choice of assistant boss, with Huddersfield Town’s Steve Thompson still in line to land the job.
United’s head coach has been waiting to confirm the appointment of a number two for the past week-and-a-half but he said the club had assured him the matter “will be sorted.”
Thompson - Chris Powell’s first-team coach at Huddersfield and formerly a team-mate of Redfearn’s at Bolton Wanderers - was Redfearn’s first choice after his own appointment as head coach earlier this month.
Redfearn has operated with the support of goalkeeping coach Neil Sullivan and fitness coach Matt Pears during the past three league matches but he and Leeds owner Massimo Cellino agreed on the need for a full-time assistant following the sacking of previous head coach Darko Milanic and his number two, Novica Nikcevic.
“I know who I want and I’ve left it with the club,” Redfearn said. “I’ve been concentrating on getting training right and I’ve been told it’ll be sorted.”
Huddersfield Town manager Chris Powell admits that the prospect of Thompson leaving to join Leeds United ‘could happen’ - although he would ideally like him to stay on at Town. As yet, Leeds have not made an official approach to their West Yorkshire neighbours to enlist the services of Thompson, who shares first-team coaching duties at Town with Steve Eyre.
On the current situation, Town boss Powell said: “Steve is here today and has not gone anywhere and is part of my coaching staff that I would like to remain.
“I understand it has been floated around for the last few weeks and I know Neil knows Steve very well and is looking for someone.
“So if we add it up, it may be something that could happen. I haven’t spoken to Neil, but I’d like Steve to stay - but equally, I have been in this position before.
“If that comes up and there’s a possibility of him going, then I am sure he may want to talk to them and then it will be his decision.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23