Leeds United cannot risk ignoring Daniel Farke's political powerplay — Yorkshire Post 16/5/26
By Stuart Rayner
For a while when Daniel Farke spoke to the media on Friday,
it sounded like the manager of Leeds United was saying his goodbyes.
"Three years ago we spoke about the goals we want to
achieve and I have to say my mission is fulfilled and my job is done and
there's nothing to add," he said.
"My mission is fulfilled one year earlier than
expected."
But having laid those landmines, he backed away from them.
Asked if this was him casting doubt over whether he would
see out the four-year contract he signed at Elland Road, he insisted:
"That's a wrong interpretation."
If it was not goodbye, surely it was a powerplay.
Political machinations have been all the rage this week, and
it seemed like Farke had a taste for it. The more he talked, the more it
sounded like laying the ground for a fight.
Farke always insists he does not play mind games, but he
sounded like a man trying to wrestle the future of the Elland Road club in the
direction he wants it to go in.
Although he stated choosing the course is down to the
directors, he pointedly added: "I will (only) lead the project when I am
in charge and I take the decisions like I have done in recent years.
"If you want someone who does just something more of
the same then it's definitely not me."
Even before he had warmed up, he fired a warning shot.
"The first two years at Premier League level are the
most difficult ones," he said. "We don't want to become a dinosaur
(as) happened a little bit after the last really good season at this level
under Marcelo (Bielsa in 2020-21) when we missed (the opportunity) to
develop."
Farke is negotiating from a position of strength after
bucking the recent trend of newly-promoted teams going straight back down, and
reaching a Wembley FA Cup semi-final – the club's first since 1987.
A year ago his future was in doubt. In the aftermath of
promotion, and before the title was secured, the idea was floated in the media
that Leeds' owners might sack Farke. There were no fingerprints on the stories
by well-connected journalists, but they did not all come out of thin air at the
same time.
Disrespectful as it was at the time, stupid as hindsight has
shown it to be, you could see a grain of logic. He was, after all, English
football's ultimate yo-yo manager. But now no longer.
"At Norwich it was always clear we would go down,"
he argues, again.
"I've taken over clubs in the relegation positions in
Germany, in the lower tiers, and led them to safety but I'd never done it in
England.
"If someone sees this as proof that I can do a
relegation battle, then no problem. I was aware I could do it, I was aware what
I had to do."
Leeds fans have been slow to sing his name but as criticisms
of him have slowly been answered, in many minds at least, the Boney M tune
adapted around his name has been heard more often. Leeds are at home to
Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday, a chance for fans to roll it out like they
did in response to last year’s sacking stories. Lucky timing or clever timing?
Farke has always been very clear in public about what he
wanted in the transfer market, and too often let down. But he has always made
the most of the situation.
In his first season he wanted more help at full-back, but
made do and mended with midfielder Archie Gray filling in.
Season two saw Gray, Georginio Rutter and Crysencio
Summerville – his three best players – sold along with others, to balance the
books. Farke won the title.
In the last two windows attacking players were his stated
priority. He was given two free transfers at centre-forward in the summer and
an on-loan No 10 in January, Facundo Buonanotte, he does not rate.
Now he wants payback. Not in terms of his own contract, he
insists – "that's the easiest part, he said, "I will always just take
on projects I'm 100 per cent convinced of" – but those of others, such as
his captain, Ethan Ampadu. He also wants no repeat of the summer of 2024.
"Is it possible to keep our best players?" he
challenged the owners. "Is it possible to bring quality in?"
A striker will be on his shopping list after being outbid
for Jorgen Strand Larsen in January. The between-the-lines forward he hoped
Fulham's Harry Wilson would be for him in August will be pushed for again. A
goalkeeper of the quality Lucas Perri was supposed to bring will surely be on
the list too. Depth at wing-back is needed.
When pressed, Farke insisted "the people who run this
club are ambitious" but the undertone was clear.
Maybe this will be like transfer windows past where Farke
states his aims, is let down, then gets his head down and makes the most of it.
But the Leeds board are taking a big risk if they gamble on
that.