'To the death' - Leeds United man Marc Roca describe fan relationship and USA-inspired nickname - YEP 3/11/22


Leeds United midfielder Marc Roca signed for the club this summer and has gradually bedded into the side under head coach Jesse Marsch

By Joe Donnohue

Defensive midfield lynchpin Marc Roca has taken to life in West Yorkshire with aplomb since joining from Bayern Munich this summer. The Spaniard has played in LaLiga with Espanyol, the Bundesliga with the German champions and now in the Premier League, which he claims is the most physical league he has featured in.

Speaking to Spanish newspaper Marca, Roca has described flying over his personal trainer for intensive, extra-curricular gym sessions between Wednesday and Friday each week, as well as his budding relationship with the Leeds faithful at Elland Road.

"The relationship with the fans is very good,” Roca says. “They are supporting the team to the death, with us whether we win or lose, they are there at the end. I think that is one thing I like about English football, that maybe you lose and maybe you have had your day but the people are there and you go around the pitch and applaud the people and say thank you, and they tell you that they are with you and I like that very much.

"They are very, very loyal people, that maybe here in Spain we have to learn because the players always want to do their best.

"We know that we are strong in difficult moments, but they [the fans] will enjoy the victory much more, and I think that here in England the fans are with us to death, they want to be with us to the death.”

Roca has already experienced the highs and lows of representing Leeds United during his short time in English football, playing an integral role in wins over Chelsea and Liverpool, whilst also suffering the ignominy of an eight-match winless run. Thus far, Roca has been impressed by the footballing culture in England, commending the supporters, however the Catalonian native is less enamoured by two British stereotypes: the weather and the food.

"I have not eaten it,” Roca said, when posed with the question of whether he had tried fish and chips, synonymous with Yorkshire. “It is true that [it] is not my favourite food, I try to take care [of my diet] a little more.

"I believe that it is not recommended by the nutritionist,” he added with a smile.

"Sincerely, I am very happy in Leeds. When I arrived everybody told me that it is very windy. Today you can see that the day is not especially sunny. But honestly, when my trainer comes, always we talk about 'Ca-Leeds-fornia' because the sun comes out, and it seems that we are living in Barcelona.

"Some days it is incredible. The truth as I tell you, I am very happy here and I love Leeds,” Roca added.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23