Reaction: Confidence growing

leedsunited.com 24/7/13
Luke Varney on Stevenage performance…
Varney and PoleonUnited striker Luke Varney said earlier in the week that the players were looking to put things right on Tuesday night and after a 3-0 victory he feels the squad can now move on.
The striker secured the victory for United with a nine minute hat-trick in the second half but Luke was quick to praise the whole squad for a much improved showing at Stevenage.
"It was a good team performance," said a delighted Luke. "They were a strong team but we were expecting that.
"The talk before the game was to battle it out and stick in there and our football will come through.
"Towards the back end of the first half we started to get a bit of space and then fortunately for me Rudy managed to put a great cross in the box and I managed to get a good connection on it and saw it go in.
"I suppose after that I grew in confidence and Browny put a great ball through, and I scored again.
"Then after that it was really pleasing that Ross (McCormack) gave me the penalty to finish it off."
The United striker's three goals on Tuesday evening were his first of the pre-season schedule, the forward will now be full of confidence with the season's opener just 10 days away.
"Sometimes you like to make your mark early in pre-season so you feel good about yourself. But as you get more experienced it's about putting in the hard work which I got in Slovenia.
"I have said previously that I didn't feel sharp enough around the goal and not had many chances and that can play on your mind. I had a couple of chances against Walsall and started to gradually feel better.
"I'm just pleased that came to the forefront and I managed to get some goals on Tuesday night.
"The gaffer just wanted a reaction and we're delighted that that we have moved on quickly," said Varney.
"We can now forget about Saturday, not dwell on it and now look forward to a tough test on Saturday against Nurnberg at Elland Road."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23