Lure of fans played a part for Noel

leedsunited.com 3/7/13
New signing on his move to Elland Road...
While manager Brian McDermott was an obvious attraction for new signing Noel Hunt, the Irishman admits the lure of the Leeds United fans played a huge part in his decision to join the club this week.
The 30-year-old signed a two-year contract on Wednesday and his immediate assessment was that the club is a sleeping giant that needs to re-awaken.
"Expectations are going to be massive here, but you see how big this football club is," he said.
"It's one of the top six clubs in England and expectations are massive, but we have to get back where we should be and the only way we will do that is by working hard, and the fans have to get behind us as well.
"The fans can be the 12th man. I always hated playing at Leeds - you knew you were in for a battle, on the field and off it - but I'm looking forward to them getting behind me now.
"I received a lot of messages from fans on Twitter which were very encouraging and there's no doubt in my mind about coming here. It's a massive club. I think it's a sleeping giant that needs to be woken up."
Upon completion of his signing, the manager joked that his interest in Hunt had been one of the worst-kept secrets in football with speculation rife about his arrival.
"It's great to be here," said Noel. "I had an agreement with the manager, we stayed in contact and chatted about things and there was never a doubt once Leeds were interested.
"With the man who's in charge it was the only place I was going to end up. I had five or six clubs from different leagues, but once I'd spoken with Brian and had a good chat with Gibbo, I knew where I wanted to come.
"Brian is a very honest man. He would do anything for his players, and he's straight down the line. The intent is there with what he wants to do.
"I think I've played in pretty much every position for him, and I'll do everything I can to help Leeds United win a football match."
Noel wed this summer, and with the festivities now concluded and a two-year contract at Leeds to look forward to, he admits he can't wait to get started.
"I've been away on honeymoon," he said. "But I've kept ticking over. I want to get my fitness up now, I've got work to do, and I can't wait to get started."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23