Club statement as Championship club sign former Leeds United man following recent exit from Whites — YEP 24/8/26

By Lee Sobot

A Championship club have announced the signing of a former Leeds United defender.

Championship club Middlesbrough have announced the signing of a former Leeds United man following his recent departure from the Whites.

Former Whites Academy graduate Sam Byram re-joined Leeds back in August 2023 following his departure from Norwich City and the versatile full-back played a big role in helping United back to the Premier League as Championship champions.

Byram, though, saw very limited game time upon United’s return to the country’s top division and the 32-year-old became a free agent this summer as his contract at Leeds expired.

Reports emerged on Monday morning that Middlesbrough were closing in on a deal for the defender, Whites boss Daniel Farke serving up huge praise for Byram when asked about the Boro reports at Monday’s pre-Nottingham Forest press conference.

Farke said he hoped Byram would find the best solution possible for him and Boro have now announced the signing of the popular ex-Leeds man on a free transfer.

A statement from Middlesbrough read: “Defender Sam Byram has joined Boro following his departure from Leeds United.

“The 32-year-old full-back brings a wealth of experience to the Riverside, having made more than 300 appearances in the Sky Bet Championship and Premier League.

“Byram won promotion with Leeds in 2024/25, playing 36 times as the Yorkshire club won the title.

“He now bolsters Kim Hellberg’s options for 2026/27 as he adds to the competition for places for both full-back positions.”

Byram told the club: “I’m buzzing to be here.

“It’s a club I know well from playing against them over many seasons, so I’m very familiar with the place and delighted to be here.

“That’s what I’m here to do”

Byram added: “I’ve been around this league for a number of years and had a couple of promotions in that time, so I know what it takes.

“It’s an incredibly tough league and a long season, but it’s a great squad and great group.

“If I can add a bit of experience and a bit of quality, that’s what I’m here to do.”

Popular posts from this blog

Why Leeds United are ready to break transfer record on £40m 'moonshot' James Trafford — YEP 28/7/26

Medical complete & deal agreed as Leeds United set to confirm club-record summer transfer — YEP 6/8/26