Jack Harrison addresses Leeds United loan exits and fan reaction in goodbye message — YEP 28/7/26
By Kyle Newbould
Leeds United exit Jack Harrison acknowledges his decision to
twice leave on loan following relegation in 2023 was ‘difficult to accept’ for
fans.
Harrison’s eight-year spell as a Leeds player came to a
permanent end on Saturday following his move to MLS side New England
Revolution. Much of the winger’s previous three seasons were spent out on loan,
with two separate stints at Everton followed by a six-month move to Fiorentina
in January.
Both moves to Everton went ahead after Harrison triggered a
relegation-linked release clause in his Leeds contract. He was one of several
squad members to activate the clause following the Whites’ drop into the
Championship at the end of the 2022/23 campaign.
Harrison was a major part of Leeds’ 2019/20 Championship
title-winning side that went on to finish ninth in the Premier League under
Marcelo Bielsa the following year. But his decision to leave on loan soured the
relationship between player and fans, with the matter now addressed.
In a post on Instagram following his exit, Harrison wrote:
“It’s hard to put into words what Leeds United has meant to me. When I arrived
in 2018, I joined a club with an incredible history and supporters who demanded
everything from the players who wore the shirt. I could never have imagined the
journey we were about to go on together.
“Leeds became my home and gave me memories I’ll carry with
me for the rest of my life. Some of the greatest moments of my career came in
Leeds colours. The last couple of years haven’t been straightforward. Going out
on loan wasn’t an easy decision, and I understand that many supporters found it
difficult to accept but football sometimes takes you in unexpected directions,
one thing that never changed was my respect for Leeds United.
“I always wanted this club to succeed, and seeing Leeds back
where it belongs in the Premier League makes me proud. Leeds United isn’t just
another club to me. It helped to shape me as a footballer, as a person, and
gave me memories and connections I’ll cherish forever. I’ll always look back
with immense pride at what we achieved together.
“Thank you for everything. I’m excited for the next chapter,
but until we meet again... Marching On Together.”
As a long-serving member of the Leeds squad, Harrison’s post
received messages from a number of now past teammates. The 29-year-old’s former
captain Liam Cooper wrote ‘All the best bro’, while Patrick Bamford commented
‘Good luck buddy, great memories’.
Illan Meslier, who also left Leeds permanently this summer
to join Arsenal, wrote ‘All the best brother’, while 2019/20 promotion-winning
teammate Tyler Roberts commented ‘What a ride brother’. Barry Douglas, Isaac
Schmidt and Dominic Calvert-Lewin also commented.
Harrison is the last 2019/20 title-winning squad member to
leave Leeds, joining fellow summer exits Meslier and Pascal Struijk. Now only
two players remain who featured under Bielsa, those being Daniel James and Joe
Gelhardt.