Debut delight for Scott

leedsunited.com 28/8/13
New United defender on his first appearance… United’s latest arrival Scott Wootton made his debut for the club on Tuesday evening and things could not have gone any better, a 3-1 victory and a goal to his name at the first time of asking.
The defender opened the scoring at Doncaster but it was the team performance that impressed the debutant the most.
“Obviously I’m a defender so I was thinking about defending,” He said. “I was delighted to pop up with a goal.
“The main thing was a good team performance and a comfortable 3-1 victory and we’re into the next round of the Cup.
“I thought that we played well as a team. They probably had a 20-minute spell at the start where they came out of the blocks. But after that we limited then to very few chances and I don’t really remember Paddy having to make a tough save.”
The defender admits to being a little nervous before the Doncaster tie but insists that is because he wanted to do well on his debut for the club.
“You usually get a few nerves before most games but obviously it was my debut and I wanted to put a little bit of pressure on myself to try and do well,” said Scott.
“I was probably a little nervous but I feel good now, I’m happy now.
Scott will be battling for the centre-half positions with fellow defenders Tom Lees and Jason Pearce and the new arrival feels the competition can only benefit the team.
The former Liverpool and Manchester United man has been with his new team-mates for a week now and the defender feels that the mood in the camp is ‘great’.
“There is good competition for places and I’d like to think that I have done myself no harm,” said Wootton.
“Tom Lees and Jason Pearce both had good games at the weekend but it is up to the manager, I’m sure they would be disappointed if they lost their places after the 2-1 win at Ipswich.
“I’m happy with how I played on Tuesday and hopefully it has given the manager something to think about.
“Two away wins, back-to-back away wins so it’s good form. It shows we have good squad depth with some players getting a game.
“There is a great mood in the camp at the moment and all the lads are buzzing for each other and it is a really good place to be.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23