Leeds United vs Brentford: Jesse Marsch's pre-match press conference as Rutter speaks for first time - YEP 20/1/23


Leeds United will host Brentford at Elland Road this weekend, looking to record their first Premier League win of 2023 – but first, Jesse Marsch’s pre-match press briefing

Joe Donnohue

The Whites are without a win in the Premier League since an early November triumph against AFC Bournemouth but saw off Cardiff City at the second time of asking in midweek with an emphatic 5-2 victory. Man of the moment Willy Gnonto continued his fine form in front of goal with two strikes, including one truly spectacular effort, while Patrick Bamford made a goalscoring return to Elland Road, netting a brace versus the Bluebirds – his first goals on home turf since Brentford’s visit in December 2021.

Jesse Marsch is expected to give a comprehensive injury update this afternoon as he briefs the media before preparing his United side for a pivotal fixture. With Leeds just two points clear of the relegation zone and 20th place simultaneously, a much-needed win would go a long way to easing the pressure on the American.

Marsch’s press conference is scheduled to get underway from 1:30pm this afternoon. Live updates throughout here.

Marsch on players’ affirmation that they are with him

I mean, they a few of them came. couple came together a couple came separately, wasn't like they they went out of their way to make a huge statement. but we interact here constantly as if we are teammates, right? this is how we work. We support each other always.

Marsch on Joffy future

Joe Gelhardt is still in the building. He trained today.

Marsch on fitness

I think my goal with young players is to help accelerate their learning curve and I find that once it clicks a little bit where they kind of make the sharp upturn in performance, that then they're in a position where they can they can sustain a lot of the things that they've learned.

Obviously, trying to manage physically and now what the game with the matches are like, you know, this is one of the things about being on top of the match from the beginning for Cardiff that was so important as then we could give Willy a little bit more rest Tyler Adams a little bit more rest.

Marsch on not discussing transfers

I think it's made it easier for Andrea and Victor and Angus to manage the market without me talking about it every press conference, and I think it also keeps my focus in our team's focus squarely on exactly the task at hand with what's important for our team from match to match so that's been the strategy behind that

Marsch on Dean to MK Dons

We didn’t want to lose Max Dean but obviously given the opportunity that he could have, we all were excited to try to help Jacko as well. So we have to think selfishly but obviously Jacko feels like he's someone who's inside the family. So it made sense from all angles, I think to move move Max to MK Dons

Marsch on reports of dissent

I can be criticised for a lot of things. right? and it's not like you just went on results and that's what the discussion has been is, is that the results haven't been good enough, that's enough fodder. I don't think anyone needs to try to invent anything else

Marsch on Forshaw and Wober

Sorry, I didn't mention Adam. Adam will not be in [the squad]. That's another one. But Max will be ready, he trained today

Marsch on attacking options

I like to use the word weapons when I describe players I like players who have weapons, And now we have an arsenal of attacking players who have real weapons who are are fast or clever or have talent have technical ability and intelligence

Marsch on Brentford

They're very clear on who they want to be. And, you know, today was a day where we focused almost entirely on set plays, so we know that will be massively important on Sunday.

Marsch is here

I'll just give an injury report. Stuart, Archie and Cree [are out] but Archie made progress today, was out on the pitch so he's getting close and Cree is probably on the pitch next week as well

Rutter on Marsch

“He influenced me quite a large amount. We had a phone conversation. He was very convincing. It’s clear he has a lot of confidence in youth. It was a very warm conversation.”

Rutter on fitness

“A lot of clubs went down to Portugal so I was training regularly. When news of Leeds’ [interest] came in I didn’t play in the friendly games. I did some other training. If I’m honest I’m not quite 100% but I soon will be.”

Georginio Rutter quotes

“It’s been a dream of mine to play at a big club in the Premier League. Having chatted with Illan [Meslier], he told me about what a great club it is. From the quality of player I’ve seen, we deserve to be higher in the table. Transfers are between clubs. I just get on with my football.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23