Partick Thistle new boy Freddy Frans lifts lid on Leeds fiasco

Sky Sports 18/10/14
Partick Thistle new boy Freddy Frans has revealed the chaos that surrounded his proposed move to Leeds United, prior to sealing a move to the Scottish Premiership.
The Belgian centre-back was released by Lierse in his homeland in the summer after a change of ownership, and looked set to secure a switch to Elland Road.
Then-Leeds boss David Hockaday was interested in the move, and invited Frans to have talks with new Whites owner Massimo Cellino, and that is when things took a rather strange turn.
“I thought I had seen everything when I left Belgium – but then I arrived at Leeds," Frans told the Daily Record.
"My agent spoke to the owner and he said if Hockaday liked me I’d sign. I played two games and he said he wanted to sign me.
“I had to give him details about my star signs and all this stuff. He doesn’t like the number 17 or the colour purple among other things.
“We heard a few strange stories, like the one about Paddy Kenny not getting a deal because his birthday was on the 17th. Crazy.
“I was so happy to be signing for Leeds as well, it was a big step.
“But then I started to get suspicious as the deal wasn’t done and two Italian centre-backs arrived.
“Still Hockaday said he wanted me but they lost in a cup-tie to Brentford and he got sacked so I was back to Belgium.”
Frans also insisted that despite his recent turmoil, he is happy he put pen-to-paper on a three-month contract at Partick.
“I have only got three months but it’s perfect for me to prove I can win a new contract," Frans added.
“My wife will be coming over. She quit her job when we thought I was going to Leeds as we knew we wanted to go abroad.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23