Leeds United: Goal poacher Billy’s in dreamland

Yorkshire Evening Post 18/8/14
by Phil Hay
Billy Sharp launched his Leeds United career with a decisive goal against Middlesbrough and said: “I dreamed of that moment.”
The striker lit up his debut by claiming an 88th-minute winner at Elland Road on Saturday, handing United their first win of the Sky Bet Championship season.
Sharp, who joined Leeds from Southampton on a two-year deal last week, pounced on a late error by Middlesbrough goalkeeper Tomas Mejias to settle a tight match in dramatic style.
The 28-year-old forward was booked for taking his shirt off during a euphoric celebration in front of the Kop – and spoke later of his relief having headed an equally good chance wide 10 minutes earlier.
“It’s what dreams are made of,” Sharp said.
“I’d dreamed about that for three days.
“When I signed last week I was in the stadium, looking at the Revie End and really wanting to score there.
“My last goal was for Doncaster at the Revie End and my Dad texted me on Friday to tell me that.
“The fans will have been thinking, just as I was, that I should have scored the header a few minutes before but you’ve got to keep on believing.
“I believe in myself and I will score goals.”
Leeds brought Sharp to Elland Road on Wednesday as part of an urgent attack on the transfer window carried out in the wake of their loss to Millwall on the first day of the season.
United coped with Boro’s patient style after a difficult opening in which Albert Adomah had an effort disallowed, and Sharp said: “Middlesbrough are a really good side.
“They’ll be up near the top end of the table.
“To beat them at home with a clean sheet is a really good win for us.
“The gaffer (David Hockaday) has said that this is our stadium and we need to make sure people don’t want to come here.
“Middlesbrough know they’ve been in a game and I’m happy that we’ve taken three points.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23