Mowatt delight at new contract

leedsunited.com 5/12/13
Young midfielder delighted to secure future…
Young United midfielder Alex Mowatt has spoken of his delight at securing his future at the club he has been at since he was six-years-old.
The 18-year-old put pen to paper on a new three and a half year contract on Thursday morning and the Academy graduate couldn’t be happier.
“I’m delighted to sign a three and a half year deal with Leeds,” he said. “I want to keep playing, keep doing well and stay in the team and as a team we want to break into the top six and have a go at promotion.
“The mood in the squad is good at the moment. We have now won five on the bounce at Elland Road and we have another home game this weekend.”
Alex says it's been "weird" making the step-up to first team football but it is something that he is relishing.
The former Under-18s captain says that playing in front of big crowds is something that he enjoys and says that the United supporters have really got behind him.
“It’s been weird going from playing a game in the Under-18s with no crowd to then playing in front of 25-30 thousand,” said Alex. “I’m enjoying it.
“My family are proud of me and the fans have been really good with me.
“It’s a great feeling getting clapped and cheered when I go to take corners. It’s really good that the gaffer has the faith in me to go and take corners and some set-pieces.”
After getting his name on the scoresheet for United’s Under-18 side more often than not the teenager is looking to add goals to his game now that he is on the first team.
“I feel that it is only a matter of time before I score,” said a confident Mowatt. “I came close at the Middlesbrough game and possibly should have scored.
“But I’m getting chances so I think the goals will come.
“I scored quite a lot for the Under-18s last season and created plenty of chances for others. I’d like to progress forward and do that in the first team as well.”
Now that his future is sorted Alex can concentrate on his football and United face a second home game in quick succession against Watford on Saturday.
“I love playing home games. The crowd is great and I really enjoy playing at Elland Road,” added Alex.
“It was good to bounce back against Wigan. They had a strong side out against us but I thought that we played well and we didn’t look like conceding.
“The three points are the most important thing because that is what get you in the top six. We want to play well as well but the three points in the main thing.
“It will be a tough game against Watford but we are the home side so we will be going for the win.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23