Leeds Today

A tearful farewell
Milner: I didn't ask to leave United
EXCLUSIVE
by Paul dews
TEENAGE star James Milner today delivered a tearful farewell message to Leeds United supporters.
The 18-year-old homegrown winger joined Newcastle in a £5m deal on Friday and was today preparing to meet his new team-mates for the first time.
The youngster has maintained a dignified silence during a summer of speculation, but he opened his heart to the YEP and revealed the truth behind a move that shocked United's loyal supporters.
Said Milner: "I want people to know that I didn't ask for a move from Leeds. I was hoping to talk about a new contract and was preparing for the start of the new season.
"I'd seen all the speculation, but all I've been bothered about is the football and being ready for Dean Riddle's notoriously tough pre-season training sessions at Leeds.
"As far as I was concerned, up until the end of last week I was all set to start the new season with Leeds. I'd just bought a new house and my mum and dad had paid for their season tickets at Elland Road.
"I did have mixed emotions when I was told that Leeds had accepted the offer from Newcastle because I had never said that I wanted to move anywhere. As soon as Leeds told me they had agreed a deal with Newcastle I had to look forward and that meant speaking with them and moving things along.
"Leaving Leeds is disappointing because all I have ever wanted to do is play for them. It's disappointing I wasn't there longer. I watched the club as a kid and have been there nearly all my life.
"But I knew the club was struggling financially and if the money helps Leeds and helps the manager then that is what is best for the football club."
Milner's representative Mick McGuire admits the youngster left the club with a "heavy heart" and there were a few tears shed behind closed doors.
But the teenager admits it is an opportunity for him to develop as a player and says he is looking forward to the challenge ahead.
Forward
He said: "For me this is a chance to stay in the Premiership and it's a new challenge.
"I am nervous because it is a new club, but I'm looking forward to settling in.
"What's happened is in the past now and I have to look forward.
"Hopefully, I can become a better player and improve my game at Newcastle.
"Newcastle is a fantastic set-up and it's a massive club so this is a great opportunity for me now."
He added: "I'd like to thank the Leeds fans for all the support they have given me and the team.
"Last season was horrendous, but they kept going and kept singing and I'm sure they will be the same again this year.
"The way they took to me was amazing and I'll never forget that.
"I wish the club and the fans all the best and, hopefully, it won't be long before Leeds bounce back."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23