Leeds Today

A piece of me will always be Leeds United - Matteo

EXCLUSIVE
By PAUL DEWS
FORMER Elland Road skipper Dominic Matteo today insisted: "A small piece of me will always be Leeds United."

The 30-year-old became the club's 16th summer departure yesterday when he completed his switch to Blackburn Rovers.
Matteo had said he wanted to see out career his at Leeds, but sacrificed his desire to stay on in the hope that his exit will help the club re-build on a firmer footing.
He said: "It was a hard wrench to leave because I have made so many close friends inside and outside of the club since I came to Leeds.
"It was very difficult, but the club thought it was in their best interests and I wanted to help.
"Maybe they will be able to use the money they have saved to bring other players in and build again.
"I was very happy at Leeds - I think most people knew that - but the circumstances surrounding the club changed over the past 12 months and financially things weren't right.
"It's a necessary evil that some players had to go over the summer and I think most people accept that. We've lost a lot of good players, but that is all down to circumstances."
Matteo is adamant that his four-year stint at Leeds has seen the best football of his career and the defender forged a special bond with the fans that he hopes will remain.
He added: "The fans have been fantastic ever since I came here. I love the supporters at Leeds and I want to thank them personally for all they have done for me. I hope Leeds can bounce back and I'm sure they will. Leeds were the team that got me playing my best football.
"I left on good terms and I will be back again next season. The manager has invited me back to games when I get the chance and I will definitely be taking him up on that.
"A small piece of me will always be Leeds United."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23