I’m going nowhere insists McDermott

YEP 28/6/13
by Leon Wobschall
Brian McDermott may have suffered his fair share of frustrations of late, but his commitment to the cause of Leeds United remains undiminished.
That determined message is the one crumb of comfort towards the end of another difficult week in a largely tortuous last couple of years that United’s legions of supporters can at least take and hold onto.
In plain-speaking terms, McDermott is dealing with things in the best way he can and getting on with it, with his commitment to Leeds and his desire to sate the footballing appetites of its malnourished supporters already a strong driving force.
The quietly-spoken southerner, a long way from home up north, may have only been manager of the Whites since early April – and only moved up to Yorkshire permanently last week – but Leeds United is clearly already in his soul.
And while the lack of transfer action he thought would happen thus far has represented an obvious disappointment, he is steadfastly keeping positive.
On the player recruitment situation, “That’s a frustration that we have all got. I can empathise with that frustration (of fans); I have had that myself.
“But there’s no point being frustrated, that doesn’t help. In my situation, I have to keep my head down and keep working as hard as I possibly can and stay positive.
“That’s what we have got to do as the alternative to positive is negative.”
Many in McDermott’s shoes, so soon into his managerial tenure and given what he was probably led to believe would happen when he took over amid some fanfare and hasn’t, would have cause to seriously gripe.
But that is plainly not McDermott’s style – and something he considers to be futile as well.
Adamant his enthusiasm for the task in hand has not been dented either, he said: “It’s the absolute opposite. I like the challenge and the people around here.
“I have got no problem ‘digging in’.
“I have just a real commitment to this place and area now. The people have been really welcoming and I will do whatever I have to; I guarantee that.
“I haven’t been here very long, but I have a real sense from the people here that they want this club to grow, get better and be better.
“Because we have got an amazing club here – a massive club. Everywhere I go, people go on about their dad or son or someone being a Leeds fan and look at the shirts we sell throughout the world.
“We have the potential to be a really, really good club and need to respect and cherish that.
“There’s a lot of goodwill towards me and I really appreciate that. I go to functions with the fans and everything and see that.
“I’ve no history with this football club, so all I can do is work day to day, with the players and the staff, to the best of my ability, to try and build that bond with the fans.
“I cannot talk about the past – just about what is happening now. We really need to be as positive as we possibly can be and go forward together.”
United’s home game against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday, August 31 will now kick off at 12.15pm and be shown live by Sky Sports – their third televised game in the opening month of the new Championship campaign.
The club’s first away outing of the campaign at Leicester City on August 11 and the White Rose derby against Sheffield Wednesday at Elland Road on August 17 were previously chosen for live coverage.
Peterborough United captain and United target Tommy Rowe has pledged that interest from the Whites will not affect his commitment to the London Road club.
Director of football Barry Fry confirmed earlier this month that the 25-year-old, who is transfer-listed, was wanted by Leeds, although they have yet to make a firm bid for the talented winger.
Wythenshawe-born Rowe, is keen on returning north, but said: “It’s always nice to hear clubs are interested.
“When I was younger at Stockport there were clubs interested, but I didn’t let that affect me then. If anything I’m stronger than ever to deal with it.”
Meanwhile, it has been reported that Leeds United have borrowed an undisclosed amount of money from Brendale Holdings, a Dubai-based company where GFH and Whites board member, David Haigh, serves as a director.
It appears to be a restructuring of GFH’s loans to the club and is secured against club shares, according to reports.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23