Academy: New deal for Naylor

leedsunited.com 18/6/13
Richard Naylor signs new deal to keep him at the Academy…
Leeds United Under-18's manager Richard Naylor has agreed a new deal that will see him remain an important fixture at Thorp Arch.
Richard has spoken of his delight at securing a new deal with the Academy and is now looking forward to getting started again.
"I'm really pleased," said Richard. "It's something that I wanted to get sorted as soon as possible and now I'm just looking forward to get cracking again next season.
"I wasn't sure if it was something I'd take to or enjoy having being a player since I'd left school at 16, it's a change of career for me.
"But I'm happy to say I really enjoyed it and working with the Under-18s went well and the club were happy with me so it was just a case of sorting it out.
"Obviously there was a lot of hard work but most of it was done by the lads, I was just a facilitator and tried to help them as much as I can.
"It's up to the lads to put the hard work in and that's what they did and they got their rewards.
In his first season as a coach Richard headed the Under-18s side and lead them to glory when they were crowned League Champions in May.
"It's really pleasing how the season turned out," said Naylor. "I had a lot of help from Neil Redfearn, he helped me a lot, Lucy Ward and everyone at the Academy.
"Everyone at the Academy contributed to how well the lads did last season because you are only as good as the kids you have got and the recruitment process.
"People like Terry Potter who does a lot of good work getting the kids in and a lot of local lads are involved which is really important."
Now that Richard has been confirmed in his role he will want to continue where he left off before the summer break began.
"I'll be looking at a continuation of last year really, there are a lot of first years that have now moved onto second years and they will be looking to become professionals," said the Under-18s boss.
"It's important for me to help them achieve professional contracts. Winning the League was a great moment and everyone at the club was proud of them for that but the most important thing is to get a career in the game and become professional footballers.
"I'll be working as hard as I can with these lads to improve their games to get them to a level where Brian McDermott can offer them something."
As a supporter of his hometown club, Richard knows of the calibre of player that have come through the ranks at the Leeds United Academy.
This is something that he will be working to emulate and wants to help push the future generation of players to the next level.
"There is a history of the club producing players and that is something that has been focused on in recent years and we're really concentrated on getting local lads in," said Naylor.
"There is nothing more satisfying for the Leeds fans, myself included, seeing a local lad make their debut and go on and do great things.
"We've got a history of that at the club and it's important that we continue that and keep it going."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23