BRENDEN AARONSON TO JOIN LEEDS UNITED - Leedsunited.com 26/5/22


Whites confirm first move of summer transfer window.

Leeds United are delighted to announce an agreement with Red Bull Salzburg for the transfer of Brenden Aaronson, which will be completed on July 1st 2022.

The 21-year-old will join for an undisclosed fee on a five-year-contract, running until the summer of 2027.

Aaronson made 41 appearances in all competitions for Salzburg last season, providing 10 assists and scoring six goals, helping the club win the Austrian Bundesliga and Austrian Cup for the second season in succession.

A United States international, the attacking midfielder has won 18 caps for his country, scoring five goals, recently helping them secure qualification for the FIFA 2022 World Cup.

Coming through the ranks with Philadelphia Union, Aaronson made a goalscoring MLS debut in March 2019, netting in their 1-1 draw with Atlanta United.

He then went onto establish himself in the side on a regular basis, making a further 29 appearances during 2019 and was handed his first USA cap in February 2020.

During the 2020 MLS season, Aaronson helped Philadelphia win the Supporters’ Shield for the first time in the club’s history, whilst he was also named in the MLS Best XI at the end of the campaign.

In January 2021, the midfielder completed a move to Red Bull Salzburg for an undisclosed fee, linking up with current Whites head coach Jesse Marsch, who was in charge of the Austrian outfit at the time.

He featured 24 times in all competitions, netting seven goals, helping Marsch and Salzburg win the Austrian league and cup double.

Along with completing a second Austrian double last season, Aaronson also played 10 games in the UEFA Champions League helping Salzburg reach the last 16 of the tournament.

In the coming weeks he will link up with the USA national team for their matches against Morocco, Uruguay, Grenada and El Salvador.

The transfer is subject to the necessary international clearance and a work permit.

Leeds United director of football Victor Orta and head coach Jesse Marsch have spoken exclusively to the club’s official website, following the news Brenden Aaronson will join the Whites on July 1st 2022.

Aaronson has agreed to a five-year-deal at Elland Road running until the summer of 2027.

Orta and Marsch were both thrilled that the club have managed to secure the services of the attacking midfielder.

“We’re pleased to have reached this agreement, we’ve been really impressed with the talent and skill set of Brenden, along with all the physical data collected on him,” said Orta.

“We believe he will improve the squad and we are really happy, it is very difficult to find a young player of this level, especially with Champions League experience.

“He can play in a number of positions and we believe he is the perfect player fit for us.

“We’ve been interested in Brenden for a long time and with taking the decision to hire Jesse Marsch and their experience of working together in the past, we wanted to close the deal as soon as possible which we now have done.

Marsch added: “Brenden is an incredibly hard worker and we’re pleased to welcome him to the club.

“He adapts very well to tactical ideas and levels of play and his mentality is to do whatever it takes to help the team succeed.

“I know he will fit in here perfectly with our players and club with this mindset.”

Speaking exclusively with LUTV, Aaronson gave his thoughts on a dream move to the Premier League.

He said: “It’s an amazing feeling to be here at this historic club, I am really excited for the new season.

“I think it was around Christmas or January that I could see there was some interest and hearing about Leeds United being interested, it was a huge moment for me and I was super excited.

“I had known a lot about Leeds at that time and what a famous club it is, the fans they have and how dedicated they are, it was just a dream place for me.

“We’re going to have a big next season and I am really excited to be a part of it. I know the team is going to be up for it, so it is going to be an important season.

“I am not even thinking about my off-season, I am just excited to get back into it!”

The midfielder, who also has the versatility to operate in the forward areas, will now link back up with head coach Jesse Marsch who he has spent time working with previously.

“Jesse is a fantastic coach,” Aaronson stated.

“I worked with him for half-a-year at Red Bull Salzburg and he was amazing. I was grateful to work with him then and I am grateful to work with him again, so I am excited.

“With the half-year I played under him, he taught me a lot. He taught me how to get into the final third to score goals and get assists, so that’s something I am looking to bring here.

“I’ve heard about what the fans like about players here and I feel like I can be that type of player. I am a hard worker, I have this creative side to me and I think I fit this Leeds recipe in a player.

“The way Jesse wants to play, I learned a lot about the system and flourished under that system, so I am really excited to get back into it again.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23