Ian Rush details his Leeds United regret at busted Howard Wilkinson masterplan - Leeds Live 12/9/21


The former Leeds striker spent just one season at Elland Road and only scored three league goals

Ian Rush revealed that his plan to stay at Leeds United for the long term all fell apart when Howard Wilkinson was sacked.

The Liverpool legend was brought to Elland Road in 1996 with the view for him to complete his coaching badges at the club and move into the manager’s hotseat.

However, the appointment of George Graham spelled danger for the former Wales international as he was frozen out of the squad.

Rush would score just three goals for the Whites before his career fizzled out with moves to Newcastle, Wrexham and Sydney Olympic.

Speaking to the Daily Mail ahead of the clash between two of his former clubs, Leeds and Liverpool, he admitted that he was frustrated to see it all go wrong in West Yorkshire.

“He [Wilkinson] had extremely high standards and, tactically, he was excellent so the idea of playing under Howard and becoming his protégé massively appealed to me,” said the 59-year-old.

“The plan was to play at Leeds for two years, work towards my UEFA Pro Licence and – if everything worked out – Howard would move upstairs and I would take over as manager.

“That was the intention but everything changed completely when he got sacked in September 1996 after a 4-0 home defeat to Manchester United.

“New owners had come in at Leeds and, even though I only worked with Howard for three months, I learnt so much during that time and was absolutely gutted when he left.

“Howard had made me captain but George Graham came in and we didn't see eye to eye. George wanted myself and a few other players out in order to build a new, younger team and he made David O'Leary his assistant.

“When I got asked to play right midfield, I think George thought I wouldn't do it. I was professional enough to do so but, with my experience, I wasn't happy with how it was done.”

Rush also claimed that, despite his struggled at Leeds, the fans at Elland Road never criticised him because of how hard he worked during his short time with the club.

He was immensely pleased to see his former side return to the top flight under Marcelo Bielsa and believes there is plenty more to come.

“I know Leeds' owner, Andrea Radrizzani, and they will be looking towards Europe in the coming seasons,” he added.

“You've got the top four teams but there will always be a surprise somewhere – why not Leeds?

“Patrick Bamford had an excellent season last year and I rate him very highly. He has not only scored goals in the Premier League, but his work-rate is fantastic.

“He's just the sort of player Marcelo Bielsa loves as he puts the opposition under pressure. I'd have loved to have played now because I'd score all the time – and most of my assists would probably come from opposition defenders!”

While Rush is likely to be supporting Jurgen Klopp’s side on their visit to Elland Road on Sunday, his admiration for Leeds will mean a lot to the fans.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23