Neil Redfearn’s Leeds United future in doubt after assistant suspended

Guardian 2/4/15
James Riach
Neil Redfearn is considering his position as Leeds United head coach after feeling undermined and “bitterly disappointed” at the unexplained suspension of his assistant, Steve Thompson.
Redfearn, whose rolling annual contract is due to expire in November, has steered Leeds out of trouble in recent months while the owner, Massimo Cellino, has been serving a Football League ban. However, Thompson’s suspension on Thursday has plunged the club back into disarray, with the motivation behind the decision called into question.
Thompson joined Leeds in December from Huddersfield Town and is a close ally to Redfearn. He was handed a letter outlining the suspension, a decision signed off by the sporting director, Nicola Salerno, who was brought to the club by Cellino last summer.
Redfearn said: “Thommo was informed this morning through a letter. It said he has been suspended, for what I don’t know. I don’t understand why he’s been suspended. He’s been a part of this successful team since the turn of the year. It seems a really strange decision to me and obviously I’m bitterly disappointed.
“It’s undermining, it’s undermining yes because you’re trying to put something together under the belief that you’re getting the backing that you need. It’s disappointing. It just seems a really strange decision. I would like to have known about it, definitely.”
Regarding his future as head coach, Redfearn said: “I love this football club and I’ve loved working with the players. We’re a good team, me and Steve, we work together well. It makes it harder. I’ve got to have a real good, long, hard think. From where before it was a no-brainer [to stay], now I need to have a good think.
“I’ve got to think about what I really want to do, to be honest. I love this football club, I love everything about it. I love all the stuff that it stands for. I was brought up on Leeds United as a kid under the Revie years and what they stood for – the principles and beliefs – shaped me as a footballer. There’s a lot of things about this football club that are really good, but this situation is a difficult situation for me.”
Leeds play Blackburn Rovers in the Championship on Saturday and Redfearn took training on Thursday without Thompson. His young team of promising local talent have dragged United away from the relegation zone and Redfearn said “the lads will want to get a result for Thommo” against Blackburn.
During his Football League ban – for falling foul of the owners’ and directors’ test – Cellino has been exiled in Miami and is barred from exercising influence over Leeds. Matt Child, the club’s former operating office, who played an important role in securing Thompson’s protracted arrival from Huddersfield, left the club last month.
A brief statement from Leeds read: “The director of football, Nicola Salerno, has today suspended the assistant coach Steve Thompson from his duties at the club. This is an internal matter and the club will make no further comment on this internal issue.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23