Leeds United: First Leeds goal ‘a moment I’ll never forget’ - Taylor

Yorkshire Evening Post 10/4/15
Phil Hay
Charlie Taylor has described his first Leeds United goal as “a moment I’ll never forget” - and admitted he was lost for a celebration.
The 20-year-old said he “didn’t have a clue what to do” after striking for the first time in his career during Monday’s 4-3 defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The winger was on hand to turn home the ball from close range after a defensive error by Kevin McDonald on 11 minutes presented him with possession a few yards from goal.
Taylor sprinted towards an away crowd of 2,600 and performed what he called “three celebrations in one” as the sensation of his goal sank in.
“It was just a spur-of-the-moment thing,” Taylor said. “I think I had about three celebrations in one. I didn’t have a clue what to do. It was just a great feeling.”
Taylor has established himself a regular at Leeds this season but the York-born player is relatively experienced after spells on loan at Bradford, York, Inverness and Fleetwood.
He waited 83 appearances to claim his maiden professional goal, striking on his 20th league outing for Leeds.
Taylor took his opportunity after pressure from Kalvin Phillips forced McDonald to drive a clearance against one of his own players.
“I can’t really explain the feeling when I scored,” Taylor said. “I’d been waiting a while to get my first professional goal. To do it for Leeds was extra special. It was a moment I’ll never forget.
“It was great pressure from everyone, especially Kalvin. I could see that he was leading him (McDonald) down a bit of a trap and I anticipated the ball coming across the box. Luckily it came to me and I slotted it underneath the keeper.
“Hopefully I can kick on and try and get another before the end of the season. I’ve been playing in this advanced role on the left wing for the last couple of games. A goal was something I really wanted.”
Taylor will start again at home to Cardiff City tomorrow, the first of five remaining league games.
United suffered defeats to Blackburn Rovers and Wolves over the Easter weekend but Taylor said: “The mood is still good. We’re a close group of lads and there’s a good team spirit.
“They weren’t great results over the Easter period but we didn’t play badly in either I didn’t think. There’s a good mood around the place and a confident one heading into Cardiff.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23