We’re not a selling club anymore - McCormack

YEP 2/9/13
by Phil Hay
Ross McCormack last night claimed that his new contract with Leeds United signalled a positive shift in ambition at Elland Road as he reflected on the club’s first defeat of the season.
McCormack said the agreement of a four-year deal between him and Leeds was proof that United were “not a selling club anymore” but the striker voiced frustration at the loss to Queens Park Rangers which followed 24 hours later.
United’s six-match unbeaten run ended on Saturday as a solitary Clint Hill goal kept QPR level at the top of the Championship after the opening month of the campaign.
McCormack admitted that a game in which Leeds created few chances “wasn’t how I dreamt it” following confirmation of his improved deal but he confessed that the conclusion of contract talks on Friday was a “weight off my shoulders” after three offers for him from Middlesbrough.
“I’ve been here for (three) years now and all of our top players have all left,” McCormack said, alluding to the string of sales which saw Max Gradel, Jonathan Howson, Robert Snodgrass and Luciano Becchio leave Elland Road.
“It’s good that the club have turned down offers and made a statement that we’re not a selling club anymore. It’s a weight off my shoulders. I didn’t play well (against QPR) and it wasn’t how I dreamt it but I’m just glad that I know where I’m going to be playing my football. In my head I always wanted to stay at Leeds United.”
Hill ruined Leeds’ and McCormack’s day with a 75th-minute tap-in, denying Leeds a point after an encouraging sequence in which the club went six games without defeat.
McCormack said: “I don’t think we deserved to lose but I don’t think we deserved to win. We should have seen it out, got a point and gone into the international break unbeaten.
“We’ve had a good start to the season but we should have had a great start. We should have had an extra two points against Sheffield Wednesday and we should have had a draw against QPR. That’s three points which should be on the board.
“But that’s not the case and we have to let it digest now. We’ll have a few days’ break and come back recharged, ready to go.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23