McDermott ‘100% committed’ to Whites

YEP 12/9/13
by Phil Hay
Leeds United manager Brian McDermott has categorically ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Republic of Ireland job, saying: “I’m committed to this club, 100 per cent.”
The 52-year-old spoke of his “immense pride” at being named as a candidate for the international post but said he owed a debt of gratitude to Leeds and their supporters after a five-month spell in charge at Elland Road.
McDermott, whose parents were born in southern Ireland, admitted he hoped to manage the Republic in the future but claimed he had no interest in discussing the vacant post with the Football Association of Ireland (FAI).
The FAI’s chief executive, John Delaney, included McDermott in a list of possible replacements for the Irish position after Giovanni Trapattoni left his post on Wednesday morning.
McDermott said: “My situation is that one day I want to manage the Republic of Ireland.
“But at this moment in time I’m at a fantastic football club and I feel I owe this club and these supporters.
“I’m here and I’m committed, 100 per cent. I regard Leeds United as a very big club. At this moment I wouldn’t be leaving Leeds United. In years to come when Leeds United get fed up of me, that might be the case.”
Asked about Delaney’s comments - comments which angered United’s board - McDermott said: “My reaction to that is immense pride more than anything.
“If you consider that I’ve been a manager at this level for four and a bit years and to get to that gives me nothing but pride.
“I’m probably doing something right, which is good. Everyone knows how I feel about Ireland.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23