Ross; Signing's a statement

leedsunited.com 4/9/13
Striker believes the club have laid down a new marker during transfer window...
Striker Ross McCormack firmly believes the club's owners made a statement of intent during the summer transfer window after turning down a number of bids for his services.
“The board have shown by turning down offers for players that they want to keep the squad together and they have made a statement in some respects that we’re not a selling a club and we’re keeping players,” said the striker. “It’s not about signing players either for the sake of It or quantity, it’s about quality.”
The 27-year-old’s future was the subject of much speculation – fans were concerned the Scotland international could follow in the footsteps of a number of high profile departures in recent years - but offers were rebuffed and he has signed a new four-year contract.
“I was fed up because everyone was asking if I was going to leave or stay, and I said all along that I wanted to stay here,” said Ross.
“I think people weren’t believing me because it dragged on, but the board offered me a contract and I was delighted.
“It was pretty common knowledge that Middlesbrough put some big bids in for me and the club kept turning them down, so I didn’t think I would be leaving. People from the outside were saying the club were ready to sell, but that obviously wasn’t the case.
“I’m at a club where I feel I belong and want to spend the best part of my career. I need to learn a bit more about how I can influence a game in the position I'm playing now. Hopefully I can help get the club get where it belongs over the next few years.”
Ross signed his new deal on the eve of Saturday’s Elland Road clash with QPR and he was denied a perfect weekend when Clint Hill’s goal settled matters in favour of the Londoners to send United to a first defeat of the season, ahead of the first international break of the campaign.
“We didn’t really get going and we didn’t create much,” said Ross. “We didn’t deserve to lose, and didn’t deserve to win. It should have finished 0-0, and to get done by a set-play was disappointing.
“We should probably be three points better off because we could have got a point against QPR and beaten Sheffield Wednesday, and that would have been a great start. But it’s still be a good start, and is a springboard to kick-on.
“The boys have a break now to re-charge their batteries. We’re only seven games in, but it’s good to get away for a few days and have a break.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23