Luke keen to take his chance

leedsunited.com 31/7/12
New signing Luke Varney admits he wasn't going to miss out on the double opportunity of playing with Leeds United and linking up with Neil Warnock once the call came this summer.
The 29-year-old completed his move from Portsmouth last week as the manager snared one of his long-time targets.
"I'd pushed for this as hard as I could," said Luke, who has scored 68 goals in 288 career appearances. "I feel it's a very positive move for me and I hope it will work out for both parties.
"I'd had three or four phone calls before from the manager over the years, but other things had come up and it never quite happened. It was unfortunate, but this time there was no way I was going to miss out. A few other clubs showed an interest, but once it was Leeds I was always going to come here."
Luke made his debut at Bodmin Town last Wednesday and the United boss couldn't hide his delight after securing a player he has been chasing for some years. He started in a left midfield role at Bodmin and marked his first appearance with a headed goal after drifting inside to convert a cross to score the first goal in a 4-0 victory. "I've tended to play as a winger since my Blackpool days, but he's made it clear he wants to me positive and get a few goals," explained Luke.
"Starting inside and going out wide will help me a lot and will hopefully help me get a few more goals. I enjoyed playing in that role last week, and it was nice to get a run-out.
"Things weren't great at Portsmouth, it was a case of a few lads just trying to keep fit really so to get some time in was a bonus. The goal was pleasing."
Inevitably, Luke will be viewed by some as a replacement for the now departed Robert Snodgrass, but despite the manager declaring that his new signing will be deployed in a similar role, the former Portsmouth man isn't making any comparisons.
"I'd be happy if I could do as well he did," said Luke. "When I signed I was looking forward to playing with him, but he had a chance to play in the Premier League and good luck to him.
"I don't think any of us are here to replace anyone. We've all got out own jobs and we're looking forward to seeing what Neil can put together."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23