Jack Harrison addresses Elland Road future amid rejected Newcastle United bid - Yorkshire Post 22/8/22


Jack Harrison has said his intention is to remain at Leeds United amid interest from Newcastle United.

By Ben McKenna

The Magpies reportedly had an offer rejected for the winger earlier in the window with The Athletic reporting on Monday that a second bid worth more than £20m was knocked back by Leeds.

Harrison scored for the Whites as they claimed a fine 3-0 victory over Chelsea on Sunday afternoon. He sits joint-top of the assists charts with three in the club’s opening three games.

The winger had been questioned about Newcastle’s interest during Leeds’ pre-season tour of Australia. Harrison responded with a vague answer, something he put right in an interview on Friday as he made his stance clear on Newcastle’s pursuit.

"I knew nothing about it and it threw me off,’ he told the Daily Mail.

“My answer gave the wrong impression from what I meant. Social media was talking about it and people were like, ‘What have you said?’

"But it was nothing. My intention is to be here and work hard for this team. If anything I want to make a greater impact than before and I think this is the best place to do that.

“My performances at the start of last season weren’t the best but I think I improved. My goal is to try to make the next England camp in September. If I am to have any chance of the World Cup at all, I will have to make that next squad.”

Last month, Jesse Marsch insisted that Harrison was a "big part" United's plans moving forward amid interest for the winger.

“There has always been interest in Jack, like many of our players, but I know that Jack is also very happy here and that he's done a really good job that is a big part of what we're doing," said Marsch following Leeds' 1-0 friendly defeat to Aston Villa in pre-season.

"Of course, there's always possibilities that that big transfer offers come in and then you always have to as clubs decide how it fits and what are the best options moving forward.

"But for me, Jack Harrison is a big part of our plans moving forward and we're counting on him this season for sure.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23