LEEDS UNITED AGREE DEAL FOR RASMUS KRISTENSEN - Leedsunited.com 8/6/22


Second signing of the summer confirmed.

Leeds United are pleased to announce an agreement has been reached with Red Bull Salzburg for the signing of Rasmus Kristensen, which will be completed on July 1st 2022.

The Whites have beaten off competition for the 24-year-old, who will join for an undisclosed fee and has accepted terms on a five-year-contract at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2027.

Making his breakthrough with FC Midtjylland, the full-back was snapped up by Dutch giants Ajax in January 2018.

Prior to his move to the Netherlands, Kristensen had made 17 league appearances for Midtjylland during the 2017/18 campaign, in which they would go on to become Danish champions.

In his first full season at the Johan Cruyff Arena, Kristensen helped Ajax win the league and cup double, scoring in the 4-0 KNVB Cup Final victory against Willem II.

Following the triumph, at the end of the season he completed a transfer to Red Bull Salzburg, joining current Leeds United boss Jesse Marsch, who had recently been appointed head coach of the Austrian side.

His double success continued at the Red Bull Arena, with Kristensen helping the club win the Austrian league and cup in each of the last three campaigns.

Last September his club form was rewarded when he won his first international cap for Denmark, helping his country defeat the Faroe Islands one-nil.

He has since won five more caps, with his most recent coming last Sunday, where he provided an assist in the 2-1 away victory against Austria.

Kristensen is Leeds United’s second confirmed arrival of the summer transfer window and he links up with Brenden Aaronson, who it was announced last month would also be joining from Salzburg.

The transfer is subject to the necessary international clearance and a work permit.

Following the announcement Rasmus Kristensen will join Leeds United from Red Bull Salzburg on July 1st, he spoke exclusively to LUTV.

The Denmark international has agreed a five-year-deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2027 and becomes the club’s second signing of the transfer window.

Kristensen spoke about the lure of Leeds United and his delight at completing the move.

“When I heard about the interest I looked at the project and what was going on and I was never in doubt, I was 100 per cent convinced,” said Kristensen.

“It’s a huge historical club which is playing in the best league in the world and for me, it fits everything that I love about a football club.

“I know a lot of things about the club, where I am from, a small village, most of my father’s mates are Leeds fans.

“I want to compete against the best and I will do that here.

“I see myself as a physical, emotional power player, I like to go forward, run up and down the flank and I have a big engine for that.

“I’m a guy who puts 100 per cent effort in every time I’m on the pitch and I’ll die with my boots on.

“It’s been a great few days with the national team, playing games, flying in and out, it’s been busy but good.

“With the national team having four games in the Nations League, it fit in perfectly to come to Leeds in-between the two days with a day off from the national team coach, so I’m pleased and happy that everything is settled and everything is done.”

Kristensen links up again with Whites head coach Jesse Marsch who signed the full-back during his stint in charge of Salzburg and the full-back can’t wait to work with him once again.

He said: “I had a brilliant relationship with Jesse in Salzburg.

“I feel like I fit right into the philosophy and system that he wants to play and hopefully I can show that on the pitch.

“I’m really happy about my time in Salzburg, we were champions three times, won the cup three times and I got to play in the Champions League three times in a row.

“I think the three years that has led up to this moment to even be considered to be a Leeds player and being here today feels unreal.”

The Danish international is also looking forward to the prospect of playing at Elland Road in the near future.

“I’m blown away by the stadium,” said Kristensen.

“I’ve heard so much about it, so many tales and stories, but to be here in person is incredible.

“I’ve been told what the atmosphere is like and I can imagine, but I’ve been told it’s better than I can ever imagine, so I can’t wait to experience it on my own.”

Leeds United director of football Victor Orta and head coach Jesse Marsch have spoken exclusively to the club’s official website, following the announcement Rasmus Kristensen will join the Whites on July 1st 2022.

Kristensen has accepted a five-year-deal, with his Elland Road contract to run until the summer of 2027.

Orta and Marsch were both pleased to get a second signing of the summer transfer window across the line, following the arrival of Brenden Aaronson.

“It is difficult to find a player with this background, who is an international, in the market with a clear price,” said Orta.

“Rasmus trusts the project, he knows the coach and he’s left his comfort zone to try and succeed in the Premier League and at Leeds United and I feel proud of that.

“Other teams wanted him, including teams playing in the Champions League in the top five leagues, but he wants to prove himself in the best league in the world and this makes me very happy with the signing.

“His performances at Red Bull Salzburg made him one of the most influential right-backs in Europe and now in the line-up of his country.

“He has a determination to understand the position, he’s physical, demanding, has a high level with the ball and I hope he is a player fans will fall in love with quickly.  They demand effort and quality, he has both things and he has chosen us.”

Marsch added: “Rasmus is a player who developed a lot over the last three years.

“He established himself at Red Bull Salzburg as one of their best players, a very good Champions League full-back, and a Danish international.

“I am totally convinced that he will continue to grow into a great Premier League full-back as well.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23