Marcelo Bielsa admits owners will have doubts after Liverpool worsen woes - YEP 23/2/22


Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa admitted he's questioning himself after a 6-0 drubbing by Liverpool but doesn't believe a change in style will fix the Whites' issues.

By Graham Smyth

Leeds are winless in five and have lost their last three games, conceding 13 to Everton, Manchester United and the Reds. Their Anfield defeat and Burnley's win over Spurs leaves just a three point gap between the Whites and the 18th-placed Clarets, who have two games in hand.

Bielsa concedes that Leeds' form will give the club's ownership doubts over what he's doing.

"It's not just this game, it’s in general - we have been struggling to sustain what we want to do for the duration of the game," he said.

"I don't know if the question you’re trying to ask is if I think I should continue with the style of play that I've been using up until now? How am I not going to question what I’m doing? Of course I question myself. When you ask yourself why the things that are happening to us are happening, the question is I don't think that the change of style is going to change what’s happening to us.

"When a team is going through what we’re going through, it’s only going to awaken doubts [but] I don't need [the owners] to give me conclusions about the succession of results of the team that I manage."

When Bielsa watches his team he sees a group of players still giving everything for the cause and taking the fight to the opposition with intensity, but he's not currently able to turn that effort into more competitive performances. His ability to go toe-to-toe with the division's best teams, which was evident last season when they picked up impressive results against top six outfits, has not carried through to the current campaign.

"The only response I can give is that I know that the players give their maximum - you can see it in the intensity and all the data that comes out of the game," he said.

"If a coach has at his disposal the effort the team can give, it is very clear that my responsibility increases. And I can't redirect it toward any side that’s not myself. And I'm giving you an argument that has weight. The players, the dedication to what they do - the players in agreement of what they do, they express it through their effort and their intensity and that’s a value that up until now, the team conserves. What I achieved for a long time through the base of effort and the willingness to play games on an even keel, I’ve not been able to achieve it in this moment.

"Evidently the two seasons are not the same. The difference between the two seasons allow you to see that they are completely different. The security that we were able to play with last season, this season we haven’t been able to conserve it. In certain games it has been very evident, our weakness. The game against City, today’s game, the two games where we have shown ourselves very weak, to come up against the superiority of these two teams. Apart from that, we come from a defeat against Man Utd where in my point of view it allowed us to come into this game thinking that we can trust in our strengths. But evidently the conclusions from the game today are totally negative."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23