He has to learn - Boss' words for Diouf

leedsunited.com 27/4/13
Brian McDermott on two red cards...
United boss Brian McDermott says El-Hadji Diouf must learn after being sent-off against Brighton at Elland Road on Saturday for gesticulating at the visiting fans.
Diouf had drawn United level in the contest, with a coolly taken penalty, but he was shown a straight red card for his celebrations.
The red card saw United reduced to nine men - Rudy Austin had been sent-off in the first half - and the visitors, who also had a man dismissed, made the numerical advantage count by nicking a late winner.
"You can't do what Dioufy did, and he has done so well for me over the games," said the boss.
"His talent is terrific and I don't want to be talking about incidents away from what he is good at - football.
"I'm gutted about what's happened. It can't continue. He's mature enough to say 'I've got to learn from things like this.' I spoke to him afterwards and said 'you've put me in a situation here.'
"I like him. As a player and a person he's not what people perceive him to be. He's a good guy and he's got great talent, but you can't get involved with stuff like that. He apologised and he was upset."
The player will now miss next weekend's trip to Watford.
Austin is also set to miss the game, but the boss says the club are likely to appeal his red card. The Jamaican was sent-off for an alleged elbow in a challenge with Ashley Barnes.
"I've seen Rudy's sending off and for me that wasn't," said the boss. "We'll appeal that. I think once the referee has seen that again he will see it."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23