Rio Ferdinand stunned after Aaron Lennon tells ‘crazy’ Leeds United story for the very first time — Leeds United News 14/12/23


Will Butcher

Aaron Lennon has left Rio Ferdinand stunned after sharing a story about his exit from Leeds United during the Ken Bates era – discussing how the details of his contract saw him earn “crazy” money.

Lennon, now retired at 36, made his debut for Leeds at the tender age of just 16. In doing so, he became the youngest player to ever play in the Premier League – coming on in August 2003, against Tottenham.

In an era when finances at Leeds were woeful, leading to administration and relegation in 2004, Lennon shares how the bonuses and clauses in his Leeds deal – a deal he signed at 14 – were quite ridiculous.

Leeds handed Lennon – who went on to win 21 England caps – a contract that saw him earn £10,000 every appearance, and £100,000 after every five senior outings. His comments left Ferdinand stunned.

“Mine was done quite ruthlessly. Ken Bates came in and to be fair to him I didn’t understand at the time but my contract was good. It was £5,000-a-week, as soon as I turned pro, and £10,000 an appearance. The incentives were crazy. It was like every time I played five games I would get £100k. At that time I signed, I was 14. So they are thinking he isn’t going to play, there was no money in it unless you played.

“But then I started breaking in. My contract was silly looking back. It was crazy numbers and they were thinking he won’t play. But then I started playing. I was on the bench and they couldn’t put me on because I was going to hit one of those appearances”. Rio Ferdinand responded: “No way!”

Yeah, I remember Gary Kelly going mad and saying our best player is on the bench now. Our most in-form winger is on the bench. I was just sat there and Leeds fans were singing my name. But eventually he put me on because it got that bad with the fans singing my name they had to put me on.

“I think this is the first time it might have come out. I remember at the end of the season Ken Bates told me you are done at this club. Because of the money. It wasn’t even in a nice way. And I was like this is my home town. I was upset and I remember going away and got the call saying they have accepted a bid, you are going Tottenham,” Lennon said, in an interview with Ferdinand’s Five podcast this week.

Incredible. A 16-year-old earning £100,000 after five appearances. Gross mismanagement, trying to keep a teenage talent with the promise of huge incentives – that the club never thought he’d achieve.

It might not come as a surprise that Bates got something at Leeds wrong, again. Ultimately, Lennon had to be sold to simply save Leeds having to shell out the cash that was inserted into Lennon’s contract.

Lennon of course, went on to have a brilliant career – with his best years coming at Spurs, having a hand in 107 goals in 362 games for the North London club. An unbelievable story, from Lennon.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23