‘I COULDN’T LEAVE A CLUB WHERE PEOPLE HADN’T SEEN ME PLAY’ – GEORGINIO RUTTER EAGER TO PROVE HIMSELF AT LEEDS UNITED — Get Football France 22/12/23


The price tag weighed heavy on Georginio Rutter (21) as he became Leeds United’s most expensive signing when he made the swap last January from HSG Hoffenheim.

Bought for €40 million during a season where the English club was mired in a struggle to remain in the Premier League, there was an expectation that the record signing was brought in to provide the impetus for survival.

However, the French forward instead struggled for game time as he became a victim of the club’s instability, when the manager who had championed his signing, Jesse Marsch, was sacked weeks after Rutter made the move.

The following two managers, Javi Gracia and Sam Allardyce did not share Marsch’s enthusiasm for the young Frenchman leaving many baffled over what the club had first seen in Rutter to make him their record transfer.

Rutter came to be written off as a symptom of the state of the club, an illustration of the fundamental mismanagement that had allowed it to slide into a relegation battle.

Relegation is never a positive outcome, especially dropping out of a league as rich as the Premier League, but it did offer Leeds and Rutter an opportunity for a reset over the summer.

It looked from the outside as if Rutter’s reset would come in the shape of a transfer away from Leeds. There were interested parties last summer, with Lyon and Borussia Dortmund, reportedly keen on transplanting the forward.

Despite their efforts, Rutter was notably less willing to leave a place where he had not yet shown his talent, speaking to L’Équipe, the player reflected that ‘I couldn’t leave a club where people hadn’t seen me play, I kept telling myself: “They haven’t seen me play!”’

And with Leeds, turning to the experienced and progressive Daniel Farke to help guide them back to the Premier League, the Frenchman finally found a manager willing to let him play.

Despite now having a manager who allowed the forward to express himself, the difficulties of the season before had taken their toll on his self-belief.

It was only until Leeds played Watford in a 3-0 victory marked by a mesmeric performance from the young Frenchman, that Rutter allowed himself to regain what had been missing since his transfer: ‘I had… less confidence for a few months and this match unlocked a lot of things. I said to myself: “Ah, I can still dribble, I can pass?”’

Since that game, Rutter has grown into his role at the heart of the Leeds attack, where the forward has performed as a false nine that looks to create rather than finish chances. A role that takes special advantage of his ability to distribute the ball.

In twenty-one games, the forward has provided nine assists for his teammates (while also scoring four goals), the joint-highest in the Championship with Leif David (23) and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall (25).

Rutter states to L’Équipe, that this role has been a transition in how he approaches the game, ‘I am more lucid, I take my time to serve my teammates. In my head, it works better: I am more mature in my game, more tactical. My vision of the game has improved. Before, I played like a youngster, I didn’t really look for spaces. Now I watch them a lot and think about the game.

His performances in England have not gone unnoticed, with Thierry Henry, the manager of the France under-21s, picking Rutter for international duty back in November. The young forward noted, ‘When I arrived, I was a little shocked… “It’s Thierry Henry, after all!” It was a source of pride, I had come a long way. But hey, it’s all well and good to have been called once… You have to make sure you come back.’

And if Rutter keeps at this level, it will be hard to imagine a scenario in which he would not be called back to Henry’s squad. A truly remarkable achievement for a player who less than a year ago was considered a record misstep.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23