Warnock sold on Leeds vision

Sky Sports 14/4/12
Drastic action is needed, says Leeds boss
Leeds boss Neil Warnock is set to stay at the Championship club next season after productive talks with chairman Ken Bates. Warnock arrived at the club in February and has endured a difficult start to life at Elland Road with Saturday's win at home to Peterborough ending a run of three consecutive defeats.
And Warnock has admitted he had doubts about staying at the club because he is not interested in merely treading water - he wants a record eighth promotion.
But after extensive talks with Bates, the 63-year-old has been reassured he will be given the tools to achieve that goal next season.
"Before I spoke to the chairman I possibly did have doubts about next season," Warnock told the Yorkshire Evening Post.
"I said when I first came here that I didn't want to be around mid-table. Next season's a big season for me.
"I don't want to work many more years and if I felt we couldn't get up there then it would be pointless picking up my money just to put a team out. I've never been like that.
"The chairman knows how desperate I am - and you can use that word because I am desperate - to bring the players in who can give me the success I want. The incentive for me is a record eight promotions.
"I was very pleased with his reaction and I've spoken to him numerous times this week. But how I feel at the moment is irrespective of anything. I just feel like taking the challenge on.
"If the supporters had been negative towards me or if I thought they didn't believe in me then it would be easy to walk away at the end of this season. But I'm probably the best man for the job that needs to be done at Leeds.
"I do feel that I want to put a team together for next season and give it a go. I don't want people to see me as having a team who are playing out games. I want to have a team who have something to play for.
"The challenge is there, I know what I need and I've told the chairman what I need. He's trying as hard as he can to give me what I require to make us successful. I'll know more in the next few weeks because things are happening behind the scenes all the time."
Warnock sees Bates' willingness to offer a new contract to club captain Robert Snodgrass as a positive start.
The Scotland international has a little over 12 months left on his existing deal and recently questioned the wisdom of selling former club captain Jonathan Howson to Norwich City in January without lining up a replacement.
But Warnock feels Bates understands what is needed now, saying: "I was very pleased with the reaction of the chairman. He listened to what I said and he's got his own ideas.
"But money's not everything with players. Some of them just want to see the ambition the club's got. I think Rob (Snodgrass) made that clear in some of his comments this week.
"It's also about getting the right players with the right attitude, and players who can play for Leeds. This isn't a normal club. You need a certain type of mentality to play here.
"I've already told the chairman of three or four players who I'm looking at and I'm speaking to agents regularly.
"We need to get cracking as soon as the season ends and that's why I want to get the first one in almost immediately. I hope that's almost done. I won't know for sure until the day it's agreed but I'm optimistic.
"We've gone through a list of players who are at the club already, giving ticks and minus and the chairman realises where I am. He knows what I'm thinking."
Warnock has had the challenge of keeping both players and fans happy while he begins the rebuilding process.
"I don't think players are daft," he said. "If I've got to change things around then I'll need people to go and make more wages available. It's not rocket science.
"My back's broad and we aren't playing well but for all the negativity, I've been surprised by how much support I've been given. The fans have taken on board the fact that drastic action is needed."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23