Yorkshire Evening Post 9/3/12
Robinson’s joy at Whites move INTERVIEW
By Phil Hay
Paul Robinson hopes his transfer to Leeds United will mark a fresh start in his career as he faces up to a “big decision” over his future this summer.
Robinson, who signed for Leeds on loan from Bolton Wanderers this week, spoke of his delight at moving to Elland Road after enduring a period of frustration and inactivity with his parent club.
The left-back last started a league game for Bolton on Boxing Day when he played in a 2-0 defeat to Newcastle United, but he is in contention to make his United debut in Sunday’s must-win Championship match at Middlesbrough.
Robinson is approaching the end of his time at the Reebok Stadium with his contract set to expire at the end of the season, and Leeds manager Neil Warnock signed him initially until April 9 with a view to keeping the defender at Elland Road next term.
Robinson – 33 years old and a veteran of more than 500 senior appearances for Bolton, West Bromwich Albion and Watford – said he was open-minded about a permanent deal with United but vowed to consider his options carefully when the campaign ends.
“I wanted to get out and play football,” Robinson said. “I wanted get a fresh start and see some new faces. This is all about enjoying my football again.
“I was getting frustrated at Bolton, not playing when I thought I should be. That’s football and you deal with it in different ways. I’d go in, work my socks off and not get anywhere.
“For me, the most frustrating thing for a player is when you’re working hard and not getting anywhere. Then it’s a no-brainer to go and get some football somewhere else.
“I’m out of contract in the summer and I’m looking for a club. It’s a big decision for me as I’ve done a lot of travelling over the last three years and it would be nice to be close to the family again.
“My family are in Birmingham and it’s difficult when you are not around the kids. But you never know, and things in football always change. I’ll have a big decision to make at the end of the season but at the moment I’m not thinking about that. I’m just concentrating on what’s happening with Leeds.”
Robinson has been with Bolton since 2010 when he ended seven years of creditable service at West Brom by moving to Lancashire.
He appeared regularly in Wanderers’ defence last season but has struggled to hold down a place in Owen Coyle’s side since August.
Warnock identified Robinson as a loan target after becoming United’s manager last month and he completed the signing ahead of Tuesday’s match at Hull City, where Robinson sat as an unused substitute.
Robinson said: “I read about it (the move to Leeds) a few times in the papers but didn’t really take any notice. Nothing was happening.
“But I got a phone call from Neil and he wanted me to come on loan. I couldn’t say no because he’s such a great character. You want to work for that sort of person. That was it for me and I wanted to get out and play football again.
“I’ve played against Neil’s teams before and he’s always been on the touchline shouting at me. It’ll make a change being on the same side as him!
“He’s a great character and football needs that type of person. You can see what the game means to him – he’s on the touchline trying to win every ball and encouraging everyone. It’s great for me to be around someone like that
“I just want to get my head down now, work hard and hopefully get this club into the play-offs where they belong. It’s a massive club and I know the expectations are high. Hopefully we can deliver.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23