Yorkshire Evening Post 10/6/10
I have joined a huge club - Connolly
By Leon Wobschall
Paul Connolly insists he has left a big Championship club in Derby County for a monster one in Leeds United.
The Scouse right-back, has become Simon Grayson's third recruit of the close season after penning a three-year deal with the Whites after leaving Pride Park on a free transfer.
After much speculation, the 26-year-old former Plymouth Argyle defender put the finishing touches to his transfer yesterday and can't wait to get cracking in pre-season with his new club.
Several other sides, including Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United, were interested in Connolly, who made his name as an ultra-consistent full-back at Argyle before heading to Derby in the summer of 2008.
But once Leeds first revealed their hand, Connolly admits there was no contest.
Connolly, who spent a brief loan spell at Bramall Lane late last season after being frozen out at Derby, told the YEP: "In my eyes, I've left a big club, but come to a massive club in Leeds and I'm buzzing.
"I've got a feeling all the momentum is here and I feel something good could happen next season, I really do.
"Sheffield United were also interested, but I'm not too sure of the financial situation down there at the moment, so I think that died off. There were a couple of other clubs interested, but it's one of those – as soon as I spoke to the gaffer, I just wanted to come here anyway.
"I'm made up and it's all out of the way now and I can relax and get going again in July and I'm glad to finally get it sorted out and things have worked out great."
On a fraught time at Derby last term, his last Championship start arriving on December 28, he added: "It was hard few months for me when I was out of the team without explanation and I had to dig deep.
"I had all my friends and team-mates getting ready to travel down south for a game or up north and I was with the youth team on Saturday morning. But I came through and in the end, managed to get a move to Sheffield United on loan and all credit to them for letting me do that.
"I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Sheffield and without being told, I actually knew I had to move on from Derby.
"It's worked out well and I'm so pleased to be here."
While not knowing hardly any of his new team-mates, Connolly does at least have the benefit of one familiar face in the shape of ex-Rams triallist Patrick Kisnorbo.
Connolly added: "Patrick was on trial at Derby for a couple of weeks, so I remember him from there. He was a cracking lad and a really good player. To be honest, I actually couldn't believe Derby didn't sign him, but there you go.
"I don't know anyone else, but it won't be a problem. I'm one of those lads where I'll get to know others quite quickly."
Whites boss Grayson said: "Paul brings plenty of experience and know-how to the squad. He has made a lot of appearances at this level for both Plymouth and Derby.
"He has captained teams in the Championship and is a good addition to the squad."

Leedsunited.com 10/6/10
UNITED COMPLETE DEFENDER SIGNING
Leeds United have signed Derby County defender Paul Connolly.
Connolly joins on a three -year contract and is the third arrival of the summer, joining Kasper Schmeichel and Billy Paynter.
Delighted United boss Simon Grayson said: "Paul brings plenty of experience and know-how to the squad.
"He has made a lot of appearances at this level for both Plymouth and Derby. He has captained teams in the Championship and he is a good addition to our squad."
Paul joins from Pride Park having made 72 appearances for the club during a two-year stay in the East Midlands.
The 26-year-old right back also spent a period on loan at Sheffield United last season where he made 7 appearances.
Born in Liverpool, Paul started his career at Plymouth Argyle where he progressed through the youth ranks.He made his debut during the 2000/01 season and made 176 appearances for the Devon club before opting to join Derby on a free transfer in 2008.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23