Leeds Today: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More

INCREDIBLE HULSE
Debut delight for Rob

by Paul Dews
NINE months of frustration came pouring out for new Leeds United striker Rob Hulse as he marked his Elland Road debut in style.
The on-loan hitman, starting a game for the first time since May 2004, scored twice in the second half to help Leeds earn a priceless 3-1 success against fourth-placed Reading.
Hulse showed great composure with his goals and he swiftly established himself as a new darling of the Elland Road faithful.
Hulse said: "It's nice to be playing again and things couldn't have gone any better.
"I was just so pleased to be out there and even if I hadn't scored and we'd won I'd have been delighted, but for two to go in like that was really pleasing. "
Hulse last started a senior game for West Brom nine months ago, but the striker showed supreme confidence and didn't look like a player who has been confined to just seven substitute appearances this term.
"It's been an emotional time," confirmed Hulse, who scored 13 times during the Baggies' promotion season last year.
"It's been tough, but I always had belief in myself. The people around me, my friends and family, have kept me going. This is partly due to them as well.
"With the second goal, I just worked it at my feet. It opened up nicely and I had to have a go – it would have been rude not to!
"That's a striker's instinct and luckily it went in.
"There was a lot of aggression and frustration because I've been waiting for nine months to get playing again.
"I was so delighted to hit the back of the net the first time, I took my top off!
"I had a bit of mickey taken out of me for that, but we can play some good stuff, take confidence from this and hopefully use it as a stepping stone."
Hulse and David Healy linked up well and the new recruit is confident there is a partnership in the making as Leeds look to embark on a late push for the play-offs.
"I've had two training sessions and seen a bit of David," said Hulse.
"He's a clever player and I hope we can forge a good partnership together.
"It was massive for us to get a win on Saturday. We have two big games coming up now and we'll see what we get out of them.
"We are a good side, we showed that. We are capable of putting a good run together and can climb the table.
"I knew this was a good side with some great players, that was why I came here."
Hulse's debut was cut short when he was substituted with 20 minutes remaining and Elland Road rose to applaud their new hero.
"It was a brilliant ovation," said the striker.
Struggling
"The lads said the fans here were superb. I'd seen them a couple of times and I'd rather have them on my side than against me.
"My calves were struggling a bit – it was my first game in nine months – and that's why I came off."
United boss Kevin Blackwell was delighted with Hulse's efforts and described it as a "dream" for his latest signing.
"It was a dream debut for Rob," said Blackwell.
"When you go to a new club you dream about doing well.
"If you are a keeper you want to save that penalty, if you're a defender it's all about making that crucial challenge, and as a midfielder you want to impress.
"In Rob's case, he wanted to score. They are all the things you dream about.
"They were two class goals. It's something we have been missing.
"He wanted to come and this was a big lesson for him.
"I was delighted with his performance. They were two finishes straight out of the top drawer.
"It's a long time since we've had someone who can take opportunities like that and on Saturday both Rob and Dave showed what they can do.
"When the ball came to Rob he struck it so well."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23