Youngster Dawson signs new contract

leedsunited.com 8/5/13
Chris gets his reward... Highly-rated youngster Chris Dawson has signed a new three-year contract with the club.
The 18-year-old, who made his first team debut against Derby in April, was already under contract until 2015, but he has accepted the offer of a new three-year deal, and is looking forward to the future.
"I'm really pleased with how my season has gone and this is a reward at the end of it," said Chris.
"At the start, I was hoping to maybe get a one-year 'pro' by Christmas and then kick-on next season, but it's obviously gone a lot better than expected and I've got three years now.
"This will give me a lot more opportunities and I have more time to work things and improve."
Chris started the campaign in the Under-18s and moved up to the Under-21s where he scored seven goals in 12 appearances.
"As a first year scholar I didn't get an opportunity all season, but this year I started in the 18s and I have become a better player by playing more games and I hope to carry that on next season as well," he said.
"I moved up to the Under-21s and did well there, and I got my chance in the first team. Hopefully I can do well there next season. After my first year when I didn't expect to get anything at all, it's a great feeling."
The culmination of Chris's season came on Easter Monday when he made his first team debut against Derby County at Elland Road.
"It was nervy at first, but once you're on the pitch it's okay," he said.
"I'd never played at the level before, but you get used to it once you've done it. I try and stay level headed. I know what I need to do to become the player I want to be, so things don't faze me too much."
Chris has also been involved on the international stage, making his Wales Under-21 debut in January.
"It's been a good experience playing against other countries at that level and it can only make me a better player," he said.
Like all Academy graduates, Chris was quick to pay tribute to the coaching staff at the club, and despite missing the closing weeks with a shoulder injury, new manager Brian McDermott has offered words of encouragement for next term.
"The Academy has been really important," said Chris. "I've had a lot of encouragement from all the staff. It helps when you talk to them.
"I've spoken with the new manager a couple of times and he seems like a really good guy. The style of football he plays suits me so I can't wait for it to start.
"I had a shoulder operation a few weeks ago which has gone well so I'm looking forward to pre-season now. If I can play a part in pre-season hopefully I can impress and see where it goes."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23