Warnock’s exit looms

YEP 18/2/13
By Phil Hay
Neil Warnock admitted he was ready to stand aside as Leeds United manager after a 4-0 FA Cup defeat at Manchester City yesterday brought his position to a head.
The 64-year-old effectively started Leeds’ search for their next boss by confirming that he planned to leave his post if the club, as expected, failed to win promotion from the Championship this season.
Warnock faced another round of criticism from United’s supporters as he watched the Premier League champions outclass his team in a one-sided fifth-round loss at the Etihad Stadium.
The ex-Sheffield United coach is out of contract in June and, with his squad eight points adrift of the Championship play-offs, he admitted last night that he expected GFH Capital, the club’s Dubai-based owner, to begin seeking his replacement.
Nigel Adkins – sacked by Premier League club Southampton last month – is likely to be a leading candidate for the job.
Warnock, who was named as United manager a year ago to the day, said: “If we don’t go up I think everyone knows I won’t be here. We’re eight points off now so it’s not rocket science.
“The further away we get, I’m sure the club will be looking out to see what they can do. If I can help them I will.
“My contract’s ending and there’s no way I want to stay in the Championship again next year. My one intention was an eighth promotion. That’s why I’m living away from my family.”
Asked if he expected United’s board to make a quick decision on his future, Warnock, whose side play Blackpool on Wednesday, said: “It’s their prerogative.
“I’ve spoken to them at great length and if they think it can help them (by staying on for the rest of the season) then I’m not against it.
“Whatever’s best for Leeds United.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23