leedsunited.com 29/10/10
ANDY OB KEEN TO MAKE UP FOR LOST TIME
New loan signing Andy O'Brien is hoping to make up for "lost time" after returning to the club he left 17 years ago.
The Bolton Wanderers centre-back, who was released by the club as a 14-year-old, has joined Leeds on a month's loan and brings a wealth of experience, having made almost 500 career appearances with Bradford, Newcastle, Portsmouth, and Bolton.
"I got a phone call from Owen Coyle and he said would I be interested," he said.
"I said 'yes' and now I'm here. I've not played as much football as I would have liked so I am grateful for the opportunity, both to Leeds for wanting me and to Bolton for allowing me to come here.
"Football's a cut-throat business and to get an opportunity to play at such a big club is an opportunity you have to take.
"I'd like to think it's a win-win situation for Leeds as well because I am here to be working hard for a shirt."
The Harrogate-born defender, who has commanded £4m in transfer fees during his career, has made just three appearances for Bolton this season and is keen to get a taste of regular action.
Andy says he is taking nothing for granted on arriving at Leeds, but he is joining a squad that has come under-fire from the manager for conceding too many soft goals.
"He's told me to just get on with it," said Andy.
"From my perspective I'm here for a month, and I want to do well and get a place in the team. I don't take it for granted, but I have the bit between my teeth and I want to play.
"Hopefully it may be extended, but I have to perform well and we have to get results for that to happen."
Arriving at the Thorp Arch training ground represents something of a home from home for a player who was born just down the road in Harrogate.
"I'm delighted," he said. "I have a lot of friends who are Leeds fans, and I was here when I was 14 and got released, so 17 years later I hope I get the opportunity to play.
"Paul Hart was here then and there was a very good youth team with the likes of Kewell, Woodgate, Lee Matthews, and a young lad called Andy Wrighton who I don't think came through.
"Competition was deemed too high, but it's ironic how a few years later it comes 360. Now I'm here I'm determined to make up for lost time."
That "lost time" will start at Scunthorpe on Saturday when Andy is drafted into a squad looking to arrest a run that has produced four defeats in the last five games.
"It's a hard division," he said. "I've looked at the fixtures, and the aim at the end in this division is to be in the Premier League.
"It's quite a young squad which is good because it brings a togetherness and bodes well for the future. You look at the division and within two games you can go from the Play-Offs to four or five points from relegation.
"The one beauty seems to be you get quick opportunities. If you've had a bad result by playing again a few days later."
Andy also admits he is ready for the expectation that comes with being a Leeds player, citing his perhaps under-whelming arrival at Newcastle, a club where he was to make almost 200 appearances.
"I remember at Bradford we were among the worst for goals conceded," he recalled.
"When I signed for Newcastle from there, the headline was they were signing Rivaldo. Instead I walked through the door so I know all about pressure!"But this is one of the biggest clubs I've played for so I'm looking forward to it."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23