Leedsunited.com 22/9/06
LOOKING FORWARD
John Carver held his first press conference since being named caretaker manager of United and was in a confident and positive mood.
"We have got to look forward," he said. This is a great opportunity for me. Leeds is a big club, with fantastic support and some very good players. We're facing a big challenge, the players are looking forward to it and so am I."
John, who was appointed caretaker boss following the sacking of Kevin Blackwell earlier this week, said he spoken individually with all the club's senior players and had been encouraged by the outcome.
"We want to get back up the table as quickly as possible and I know the players we have at the club are quite capable of doing that," he said. We have just completed a great training session and I have got them organised and they are right for the game against Birmingham City tomorrow. I think we might well see a good reaction from them tomorrow.
"One or two of the players are hurting from some of the performances this season but I know the fans will be right behind them tomorrow - and we need that. It is not about John Carver it is about the players and I want people to be right behind us tomorrow."
The caretaker manager knows that a win tomorrow could lift United a number of places in the Championship.
"We have to start winning games and if we do that then it helps my case," he said.
John is keen to clinch the manager's job on a permanent basis and he said: "When I saw the chairman he was great...really positive and once I knew what the situation was I was happy. He said to me 'Get on with it. Do what you need to do, you have my 100 per cent backing.' '"
Once his appointment as caretaker boss was confirmed, John was quickly in touch with Sir Bobby Robson, his mentor when the two of them were with Newcastle United.
"Sir Bob has a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge and I would have been a fool not to go to him for advice.
"He spoke non-stop for ten minutes and among the things he spoke about was how to manage players and that's important advice as far as I am concerned."
John said that some changes will be made in the way the team play.
"I have my own ideas just as Kevin Blackwell had his," he explained.
"I come from a culture of entertainers. That was Bob's style and it is one I prefer. I have had very little time before this game but you might see one or two of them tomorrow. We have to get the ball down and start playing.
"Our priority tomorrow and in the next few weeks is to get results and if we can do that and entertain as well that will be the ideal formula."
Apart from the longer term injured players, United's only doubt for tomorrow's game is striker Geoff Horsfield, who has a hamstring strain. He will have a fitness test tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23