LEEDS MUST CUT THEIR CLOTH - BLACKWELL: Sporting Life - Football | Premiership, Championship, Scottish & European News, Scores, Results

LEEDS MUST CUT THEIR CLOTH - BLACKWELL

Leeds manager Kevin Blackwell has delivered a stark warning to fans frustrated at the lack of entertainment on offer at Elland Road.
Blackwell's side scraped through to the second round of the Carling Cup with a 1-0 win over Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield on Tuesday night courtesy of Danny Pugh's close-range strike midway through the first half.
In Blackwell's first five games in charge, Leeds have scored just four goals, and none of those has come from the club's strikers despite United fielding the likes of Michael Ricketts, Julian Joachim and Brian Deane up front.
But with the club still £40million in debt, there is no money for Blackwell to splash any transfer cash, although there are rumours of fresh investment due shortly from outside sources.
Any potential investors will have had their eyes opened by the 30,000-plus crowd last night, setting a record for the biggest attendance for a first-round league cup clash.
"I think that shows why we are such a big club and I just hope people are looking at that and someone realises how big this football club is and helps us move along quickly," said Blackwell.
"I'd love to play expansive football, get the ball down, do somersaults, but it costs money.
"You get 'owt for nowt' as they say around here. Well I'm trying to put a team together and it has cost me 'nowt'.
"People have to get it back into their minds I haven't got a Harry Kewell or a Mark Viduka or any of those people with extra quality any more.
"The first thing I had to do when I took over was put a side together. I didn't have a team six weeks ago, so I've gone out to put that team together for nothing and that's what people have seen.
"Unless someone can give me some money to buy the players that should be playing for Leeds United Football Club... because I'll go out and spend it. It's not a problem to me.
"But I've got no money, which is frustrating for everybody, especially the Leeds fans and myself which means I can't play lovely, expansive football and buy tricky players.
"Until that changes I have to make sure we're competitive and at the moment I think we are competitive."
Blackwell is relatively happy with what his side have achieved so far, and although he knows the squad still needs strengthening, it is a case of biding his time.
"What I've learned is that when we dig in, this side has shown the spirit to do that," added Blackwell, who today flew to the Continent to take in a couple of games as he continues his search for players.
"When it comes to putting your head in, the lads are prepared to do that, and that is an invaluable asset to a club.
"If you can get that backbone, it gives you something on which to move forward.
"But when the good times come and we win the lottery we have been talking about, I'll have the money to spend and add the extra I need to, and my God I know I need to do it.
"People keep saying to me 'well, don't you think Leeds should be doing this and doing that' and I agree with them. But as I say, I haven't the money, so right now I need to be patient."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23