Leeds United: Striker Blackstock pleased he chose ‘big club’

YEP 25/10/13
by Phil Hay
There is a debate to be had over how prolific a striker Dexter Blackstock truly is but his record against Leeds United is nothing short of deadly: five goals in five games against his new team.
The 27-year-old traditionally saves his best for Leeds and has often found United at their worst, scoring once in Nottingham Forest’s 4-2 win on Boxing Day last year and twice in a ludicrous 7-3 rout of the Elland Road club nine months earlier.
Blackstock remembers the second result – United’s heaviest-ever home defeat – as an “eventful night” but his habit of producing goals in West Yorkshire is one he intends to foster during three months on loan with Leeds.
“I’ve been able to score basically every time against them and it’s been a good fixture for me,” Blackstock said, speaking to the YEP after completing his transfer from Forest.
“I dont know why that is but Leeds are one of those clubs where you walk into the stadium as the opposition, you look around and think ‘wow’.
“They’re a proper big club and that makes everyone raise their game.
“We had the 7-3 game – that was an eventful night – and I hope I can continue to score goals at Elland Road.
“It’s on my mind to impress here, that’s without doubt. It’s on my mind to win matches and push Leeds up the table.”
Blackstock’s record shows an average of one goal from every four league appearances made by him but he has the stock and reputation of a striker whose career has taken him to Southampton, Queens Park Rangers and latterly Forest.
Chances for him have dried up at the City Ground but he completed his loan move to Leeds yesterday with no promise of an immediate chance to play.
He will be in United’s squad at Huddersfield Town tomorrow but Brian McDermott has essentially confirmed that Blackstock is destined for a seat on the bench.
An unchanged line-up is inevitable after Sunday’s 4-0 rout of Birmingham City and Blackstock took in that performance at Elland Road, 48 hours before speaking to McDermott and deciding to accept an offer from Leeds.
“I watched them on Sunday and it was a very good performance, a very comfortable victory,” Blackstock said.
“I’m here for when the manager needs me and he’ll pick a team he thinks will win.
“Every game’s different but I’m ready to come off the bench or do whatever the manager needs me to do.
“I’m here for three months, not one game, and I’m raring to go. If needed I’m definitely ready.
“Before I agreed to come, I sat down with the manager and went through his plans. I was very impressed with what he had to say.
“There were a few clubs interested in taking me but as soon as a club like Leeds come in, it’s very difficult for other clubs to compete. It ticked all the boxes.
“The ambition’s here for this club to move forward and I imagine the expectation’s very high, just like Nottingham Forest where the fans demand good football and entertaining games.
“The club seem to be moving in the right direction and I wanted to be part of that.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23