Poleon glad to be given the chance to impress

YEP 14/3/13
by Phil Hay
Dominic Poleon has voiced his delight and vowed to make the grade after being told that he will be part of Leeds United’s plans next season.
Poleon is closing in on a first full term at Elland Road with manager Brian McDermott unwilling to listen to any fresh approaches to sign the young forward on loan.
Poleon spent time at Bury and Sheffield United last season but McDermott has seen enough in the 19-year-old during the first three weeks of pre-season to believe that he can contribute to United’s Championship campaign.
Poleon scored in all three of Leeds’ summer friendlies against Farsley, Pomurje, FC Domzale and found the net twice in six league appearances for United last term.
“This’ll be a big season for me, fingers crossed,” he said. “I want to play myself into the team.
“I just found out recently (that Leeds wouldn’t be making him available for loan) and I’m delighted with that. When you hear things like that you get your head down – this is what the manager thinks and I’ve got to keep it that way.
“Hopefully I’ve done enough so far and I need my form to continue so that the thought doesn’t cross his mind again. I had a good summer, worked hard and the manager thinks I’ve come back fitter and stronger.”
Poleon’s loan at Bury earned him only a handful of appearances, with Leeds recalling him before the deal could run into a second month, and his time at Sheffield United was also cut short following the sacking of ex-Leeds boss Neil Warnock in April.
Poleon said: “Last season was a bit frustrating. Going out on loan, coming back, going out on loan again. But stuff happens and you just have to get on with it. I managed to get some goals and hopefully that’s put me in good stead for this season.
“Up front is where I think I’m best, where the goals are scored. I can play out wide but down the centre is hopefully where I’ll be. In my position I’m judged on goals.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23