Bates hits back over dismissal

YEP 28/7/13
Ken Bates claims he was sacked as Leeds president after a disagreement over travel expenses.
It was reported that former chairman Bates, 81, renewed a contract with a private jet company without the approval of the Sky Bet Championship club’s owners GFH Capital.
Bates, who was on holiday in Italy when he received a hand-delivered letter informing him of his dismissal, insists he attempted to get in touch with the Whites’ hierarchy to inform them of his actions, but to no avail.
Explaining his view of the situation, he told talkSPORT: “Basically I had a chance of renewing that travel expense contract at a price that is cheaper than existing and at the same time, more importantly, it was in sterling and protects Leeds’ (accounts) because all gas is bought in dollars and most of the handling charges are in the EC.
“So, I checked, very interestingly, with the solicitor who wrote me the letter when I met him socially and he confirmed that a director had the authority to commit a club or a company in which he was a director.
“So I did it and he left the details at the office, thought no more about it.
“That was on June 27. On July 24 I had a hand-delivered letter telling me that I had broken the contract or agreement and asking me for my comments.
“I immediately rang the lawyer concerned and his office was closed and I left a message on his answerphone on which I said ‘there’s a perfectly clear explanation for this, let’s have a board meeting when I get back and we’ll sort it out around the table’. That was on July 26.
“On July 28 I get another letter telling me they have terminated my contract. In all that time, not one person from GFH had rung me to discuss the matter.
“In fact, I’ve spoken to one of their directors on a very regular basis and he had not even mentioned it. There’s nothing I can do about it until I get back next Tuesday and then we’ll have to see what happens.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23