Defender announces his retirement

leedsunited.com 25/7/13
Leigh Bromby joins coaching staff full-time...
Leeds United defender Leigh Bromby has announced his retirement from playing - but he is set to remain in the game as Under-16s coach at Leeds United.
The 33-year-old has not played since he suffered a serious knee injury during Leeds United's Championship clash with Cardiff City in April 2012.
"I've been advised by the surgeon Andrew Williams to retire from the game," said Leigh.
"It's become clear over the last 14 months that I wouldn't be able to continue in a playing capacity and it's with a heavy heart that I've decided to formally retire as a player.
"People say as one door closes another opens, and I'd like to thank Leeds United for giving me the opportunity to take my first steps in coaching with the Under-16s.
"The club were good enough to allow me to gain experience last season by working with young players and I'm delighted to have the opportunity to continue that work on a full-time basis now.
"I've had a wonderful career, and played for some wonderful clubs, and I wanted to finish at a club I've always supported.
"I'd like to thank the physios at Leeds, Harvey Sharman and Paul Perkins in particular, for their hard work and support during what was a tough year.
"I'd also like to say a big thank you to my family, who have supported me throughout my whole career and helped me achieve my dreams."
Leigh made 388 career appearances after starting out with Sheffield Wednesday. He went on to make 100 appearances for the Owls and clocked up over a century for Sheffield United where he won promotion to the Premier League in 2007. He also made 66 appearances for Leeds, scoring one goal, and was a promotion winner with the club in 2010.
"My personal highlights were winning promotion with Sheffield United and winning promotion with Leeds," Leigh added. "The aim when I came to Leeds was to win promotion back to the Premier League and I hope that can still be achieved while I'm at the club."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23