Hands off our Beccs!

Yorkshire Evening Post 24/12/12
By Phil Hay
Neil Warnock warned rival clubs that Luciano Becchio would be off-limits in the January transfer window after the striker’s 17th goal of the season intensified Leeds United’s pre-Christmas surge.
Becchio struck twice at Elland Road to seal a 2-1 win over Middlesbrough on Saturday and a delighted Warnock rejected suggestions that the Argentinian’s prolific strike rate might provoke a battle for his signature next month.
The United manager said he had received assurances from the club’s new owner, GFH Capital, that he was under no pressure to sell players, and he indicated that Becchio, who has 18 months remaining on his contract, would be retained next month regardless of any offers for him.
Becchio’s form has established him as the Championship’s third highest scorer, behind Burnley’s Charlie Austin and Crystal Palace’s Glenn Murray, and his second-half header handed an improving Leeds side their fifth win in six league games on Saturday.
Warnock’s plans for this season were badly affected by the sale in July of former club captain Robert Snodgrass to Norwich City, but GFH Capital, which completed its 100 per cent takeover from United chairman Ken Bates on Friday, has promised Warnock that he will not be asked to part with key members of his squad in the weeks ahead.
Warnock said: “I don’t think we’ll lose anybody we want to keep. I can guarantee that while I’m in charge and they’re in charge there’ll be no key players leaving here – unless we want them to leave.
“We need every good player. We want to look upwards, not downwards or sideways. It’s not just Becchio. If I was a Premier League manager I’d be looking at three or four of my players. If anyone calls then I’ll answer my phone but I know what I’ll say and I don’t think the new owners will mind me saying it. No-one will leave unless we want them to.”
GFH Capital’s reign began in impressive style on Saturday, with Elland Road witnessing its biggest Championship crowd of the season and Leeds reaching the halfway point of the term in eighth position after a tense victory over Boro.
Representatives of the Dubai-based firm met with Warnock for talks on Friday, leading to fresh discussions about the transfer window, and Warnock said: “I’ve told them what I think and I think they trust me totally.
“I’ll get the support I need next month but it’s a case of whether we’re able to get the players. Teams want to hang on to good players and they can make it difficult when you try to sign them. We’ve got to have a bit of luck.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23