Young stars a 'key factor' for Uwe - "nucleus of the team will stay"

leedsunited.com 25/5/15
Uwe Rosler says the prospect of working with United’s exciting crop of homegrown talent was one of the "key factors" in him taking the head coach job last week, having been assured that the "nucleus of the team will stay".
Rosler is already relishing the prospect of working with the likes of Lewis Cook, Alex Mowatt, Sam Byram and Charlie Taylor after seeing the Thorp Arch graduates flourish together last season.
“I think that was one of the key factors (in taking the job),” the former Brentford and Wigan Athletic boss explained.
“I saw Leeds United, as I saw many clubs in the last six months, and I was very impressed with some of the performances of those who delivered.
“I think there is a core of players with their best years in front of them.
“I’m very excited to work with that group of players who I see as having great potential to go up the table.
“I think Neil Redfearn left a very solid foundation for me to build on and put the next building block in place.
“These are exciting times, we just need to get the balance right between being ambitious and having realistic expectations.”
Asked if he was confident they would remain Leeds players next season, Rosler replied: “Like we all know, football is a financial-driven business, but we discussed it and I believe what I got told – that the nucleus of the team will stay, definitely.
“The players did well and have their careers in front of them.”
Executive Director Adam Pearson, who unveiled Rosler at a press conference last week, added: “That’s been a very strong indication to myself as well, that the nucleus and the core of the team will be maintained and will not be sold.”
Pearson also insists that Rosler will have a “strong influence” in the players being brought into the club over the summer, despite a head of recruitment soon to be appointed.
“I don’t think a head coach the calibre of Uwe would be sat here if he didn’t think he was going to have an impact or a strong influence on the selection of players,” he said.
“I think that the club is starting to put in place key positions. A club secretary will be joining us soon, we’ve got a head of recruitment and two experienced coaches coming in to assist Uwe.
“I think these are all signs that the club is putting in place the infrastructure required to move forward.
“There’s one owner of this football club and he will set the policy and make the ultimate decisions.
“But I think, to be fair, he’s putting people in place around him now who are strong enough and capable enough to take this club forward.
“I think you will see some key appointments over the next week to show the intent is there.”
Rosler added: “I’ve been given the license to bring in an assistant manager, a first team coach and a head of recruitment.
“I will assess the staff who are in place. It’s actually good timing with the players returning from their holidays – I now have time to speak to the different departments and see what is in place.
“I want to give everybody a chance – staff and players – to be on that journey."

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23