Milanic press conference on Leeds United race abuse probe

Yorkshire Evening Post 22/10/14
by Phil Hay
Massimo Cellino rallied behind Giuseppe Bellusci as the Football Association launched an investigation into allegations of racial abuse made against the Italian centre-back.
Leeds United’s owner said he would support Bellusci against claims that the 25-year-old racially abused Cameron Jerome during Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Norwich City.
Bellusci will face a minimum five-game ban if he is charged and found guilty by the FA’s disciplinary commission but United’s £1.6m summer signing is denying making racist comments and has been promised the full backing of his club.
“Bellusci swears to me he said nothing racist,” Cellino said. “I believe him and and I’ll support him.
“Bellusci is no racist. I spoke with him and he said ‘you must be joking, I said nothing like this to him (Jerome).’ He is surprised by this. He is shocked.”
The YEP understands that FA officials are planning to interview Bellusci at Elland Road tomorrow and Cellino said: “I’ll write to them to clarify my position on Bellusci and racism.”
The governing body has received a report from match official Mark Clattenburg and is preparing to begin the process of contacting both clubs, reviewing video footage and formally speaking to Jerome.
Jerome is believed to have told Clattenburg that Bellusci had called him a “negro”.
Bellusci – signed by Leeds from Serie A club Catania for £1.6m in August – would face a minimum five-game ban if he was found guilty of racist abuse but he received the unequivocal support of Cellino after speaking with United’s Italian owner yesterday.
Cellino told the YEP: “Bellusci is no racist. I spoke with him and he said ‘you must be joking, I said nothing like this to him (Jerome).’ He is surprised by this. He is shocked.
“I don’t allow racists at this club and I won’t allow racists at this club ever. If one of my players is a racist, I’ll kick his a**e and kick him out before the FA has a chance.
“Bellusci says he spoke (to Jerome) in Italian. I don’t know if he (Jerome) speaks Italian too but Bellusci swears to me he said nothing racist. He was p****d off, sure, because he got hit in the neck and the face but he denies anything racist. I believe him and I’ll support him.”
Cellino said: “I’ll write to them to clarify my position on Bellusci and racism. If any Leeds player was shown to be a racist, he’d be out. That’s my philosophy and my promise.”
Jerome complained to Clattenburg immediately after his clash with Bellusci at Carrow Road and the referee halted the game briefly to speak to the striker and both benches.
The incident was included in Clattenburg’s match report and a spokesman for the FA said: “The FA can confirm it is investigating an incident of alleged discriminatory abuse in the Norwich City versus Leeds United fixture at Carrow Road on Tuesday, October 21, 2014.
“The FA takes seriously any allegations of this type.”
United head coach Darko Milanic declined to comment immediately after the game, saying he would discuss the matter with Bellusci during the coach journey back to Yorkshire. Norwich manager Neil Adams said: “Cameron’s alleged that a racist remark’s been made. Because of that, Mark Clattenburg – who I thought handled the incident really well – came over to explain to Darko and me what I’m telling you now.
“He (Clattenburg) spoke to Cameron because of the way Cameron reacted. He spoke to the players at half-time with representatives of each of the clubs, and statements will be made. Mark will submit a report to the FA. It’ll be dealt with from there.”
Clattenburg did not punish either player for the confrontation between them but Jerome was booked moments later after another collision with Bellusci.
“I can’t comment any further because it’s an allegation,” Adams said. “Of course we’ll back our player and I’m sure Leeds will back their player. The situation was dealt with well.”
Jerome addressed the incident on Twitter but said he would not publicly reveal the exact details of Bellusci’s alleged comments. The Huddersfield-born striker tweeted: “On what was actually said would not be fair for me to say at this point but it will be a matter for the governing body to deal with. As all will know an allegation has been made by myself to the referee in which he made note of and will write it in his match report.”
Kick It Out, a group who campaign against racism in football, revealed that it had contacted Norwich to offer support to Jerome.
“Kick It Out is aware of an allegation of a racist remark made towards Norwich City striker Cameron Jerome by Leeds United defender Giuseppe Bellusci,” a statement from the group read.
“The FA has confirmed that it is investigating the incident and we have been in touch with Norwich and Cameron to offer him our support and any assistance he may require. We now await the outcome of the FA’s investigation.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23