Leeds United sack manager Darko Milanic after just 32 days in charge and replace him with Neil Redfearn

Telegraph 25/10/14
Darko Milanic's six-game reign - the same as predecessor David Hockaday - ends after Saturday's 2-1 loss to Wolves at Elland Road
By Luke Edwards
Massimo Cellino, Leeds United’s notoriously trigger-happy Italian owner, has sacked manager Darko Milanic only 32 days and six matches after appointing him.
Cellino dismissed the hapless Slovenian with an apology to the club’s fans. “I want to apologise to the supporters, they deserve better results,” Cellino said.
Neil Redfearn, the academy coach who became caretaker manager earlier this season when Cellino sacked Dave Hockaday - also after six matches - will succeed Milanic, becoming Leeds' third permanent appointment of the season.
Milanic bought out his contract with Austrian club Sturm Graz last month in order to join Leeds but failed to oversee a single victory during his brief period at Elland Road.
In the immediate aftermath of Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers, Milanic said he believed he would improve the club’s results, but fans chanted the name of Redfearn, who watched the game with Cellino and took the team to 10 points from four matches during his previous spell in charge. Within half an hour of Milanic making those comments, the club announced he had “parted company” with the club.
Cellino, 57, sacked 36 managers during 22 years in control of his previous club Cagliari. He gave Milanic a two-year contract at Leeds. At the time, he said he could not be sure why he had appointed him, saying: “I don’t know [why I’ve chosen him]. The coaches are like watermelons. You find out about them when you open them. His particular qualities? He’s good looking, what can I tell you? He does not talk much and is very pragmatic. I like him. He is a very cool guy.”
Leeds took a first-half lead against Wolves, but conceded twice in the second, and Milanic said he realised he was under pressure after his side slumped to 16th in the Championship.
He said: “I understand football, and I can understand this situation, when a new head coach has only a few points from six games, I can understand that [the fans calling for Redfearn].
“I am disappointed because we deserve some more points. This is not a good position for me and the team, but I still see good things that we make. I believe it [I can get it right]. My job is to do this better, to improve. I am sure this second half is not the work of one month. I work with my team a lot.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23