McDermott - Given time I will get Leeds promoted

Vital Leeds.com 16/1/14
Leeds United boss Brian McDermott says he must be given time to turn around the fortunes of the club.
McDermott, who arrived at the club in April following the sacking of Neil Warnock, could be under pressure after a disastrous start to 2014.
Leeds have lost all three of their games so far in 2014, the last two embarrassing defeats at the hands of Rochdale and Sheffield Wednesday.
Leeds were knocked out of the FA Cup by League Two side Rochdale before they suffered their heaviest defeat in the league in 55-years, when Sheffield Wednesday beat them 6-0 on Saturday.
McDermott, who led former club Reading to the Premier League during his time as their manager, says things at Elland Road will take time but he believes he can lead the club back into the top-flight.
Speaking on LUTV, McDermott said, "I am trying to build something. It took me three years at Reading to be promoted.
"When I took the job at Reading, they were 23rd in the league and we finished 8th, the following year we got to two cup quarter-finals and the play-off final and the year after that we won the league.
"It took me two-and-a-half years to get to where I wanted to be. Given time, I know I can get this club to where we want to be. I hope I am given time at this football club because it is certainly what we need.
"When I came to the football club I was told that it was a long-term project. I was told the club wanted me to build the infrastructure, work on the academy and the training ground and build up the number of players coming through.
"It is important that we still do this at Elland Road and it cannot be forgotten. I will carry on with this until I am told otherwise."
This year marks the tenth anniversary of Leeds relegation from the Premier League. McDermott is Leeds sixth permanent manager in the past ten-years with only Kevin Blackwell and Simon Grayson managing in excess of 100 games in charge at Elland Road during this time.
Time will tell whether McDermott, who has taken charge of just 34 games since his arrival in April, is given time to build for the future.

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23