Becchio puts Leeds on alert for January transfer window

Yorkshire Post 30/11/13
by Phil Hay
Luciano Becchio has alerted Leeds United to his unsettled situation at Norwich City with the January transfer window looming, saying he is “mystified” by his lack of opportunities.
The Argentinian - sold by Leeds 11 months ago as part of the deal which brought Steve Morison and a £200,000 fee to Elland Road - voiced his frustration in an outspoken attack on Norwich manager Chris Hughton, the coach who signed him from United.
Becchio’s only football this season has been a 14-minute appearance in a League Cup tie against Bury and he has played nine times in total since leaving Leeds for Carrow Road on January 31.
United attempted to take advantage of his circumstances by bidding to sign Becchio on loan in September but Norwich rejected their approach and those made by other clubs.
Leeds boss Brian McDermott said at the time that Hughton was reluctant to weaken his 25-man Premier League squad by allowing Becchio to depart temporarily and Norwich were also thought to be insisting on any loan leading to a permanent move.
But Becchio’s future will be up for discussion again when the forthcoming FIFA window opens after the striker said: “I know other teams wanted me and went to Norwich but they shut the door on those possible moves and said I had to stay. I thought that meant they wanted me but it doesn’t look that way now.
“When you’re not happy in your job you sometimes take the problems home. Your family can feel you are not happy and they suffer too. If I’m not helping the team, what’s the point in me staying? I can’t figure it out at all.”
Becchio was a highly popular and effective player in his four-and-a-half years at Leeds, scoring 86 goals and playing his part in the club’s promotion from League One in 2010.
His departure came after weeks of speculation and approaches from clubs in China and Turkey, and a deal with Norwich to trade Becchio for Morison and £200,000 materialised shortly before the window closed.
Becchio signed a three-and-a-half year deal at Carrow Road.
He and Hughton have spoken about his position in the past 48 hours but Becchio said: “It’s the end of November and I’ve played just 14 minutes in the Capital One Cup against Bury at the end of August.
“I was a big player at Leeds, an important player. That’s what I wanted to be at Norwich. I thought I’d been signed to be the goalscorer and prove myself in the Premier League.
“But I’ve not had the chance and I’m not getting any answers either. If the club don’t want me, what was the point of signing me?”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23