MATEO JOSEPH SIGNS CONTRACT EXTENSION — Leedsunited.com 19/1/24


Leeds United are delighted to confirm that Mateo Joseph has signed a new long-term contract with the club.

The 20-year-old has agreed terms on a new deal at Elland Road, which runs until the summer of 2028.

Having joined the Whites in January 2022, Joseph quickly established himself in the club’s youth set-up, regularly finding the net at both Under-18 and then Under-21 level.

His fine form and continued development within the academy set-up was rewarded with a first-team debut later on in 2022, when he started against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Carabao Cup, at Molineux.

After impressing on debut, a Premier League outing then followed just three days later, coming off the bench against Tottenham Hotspur. Joseph would go on to make six appearances throughout the 2022/23 campaign.

This season, under the guidance of Daniel Farke, Mateo has already played six times at first-team level, most recently featuring in the successful Emirates FA Cup win against Peterborough United.

As well as club level, the forward has also been recognised in the England set-up, representing the Three Lions at Under-20 level 10 times, scoring three goals. This included going to the U20 World Cup in 2023.

Everyone at Leeds United is delighted to see Mateo commit to the club until 2028, and we look forward to seeing his future development with the club.

Joseph joined the Whites in January 2022 and quickly showed his goal-scoring ability in the youth set-up at Thorp Arch, before then progressing into a first-team environment.

The 20-year-old striker, who has played six times for Daniel Farke’s first team so far this season, gave his thoughts after finalising his new deal.

He said: “It feels great to be part of a huge club like Leeds United.

“This is one of the happiest days of my life for me and my family, I just want to return the confidence that the club gave me, by on the pitch working hard.

“Last year I made my Premier League debut, so I was really happy.

“This year is going better, I started working hard, but I had an injury which was difficult for me, then I got back into the team and I am just trying to get more opportunities.

“I want to do well to keep playing, I think my game has developed a lot.

“Coming from another country with a different style, I had to get used to playing with the Under-18s, then the Under-21s, so I have developed.

“Now I have learnt from the likes of Patrick [Bamford] for example, how to hold up the ball, getting to see him every day is good for me.

“I am very thankful because we have a great atmosphere in the dressing room, everyone is trying to help everyone, I just have to say thank you to everyone.

“There is healthy competition, we try to do the best we can for the team and we train hard, we play and try to do things well and it’s a good thing for the club and the team, we work hard and we want to raise the levels.

“I now want to try to get more opportunities and when I get them, work had for the team, and try to help with goals or assists.

Joseph also spoke about the impact of manager Daniel Farke, following his arrival in the summer.

“The manager has also helped me a lot since he arrived.

“He said he was impressed with the young players and he is trying to help us to put in our mind that we have to deliver every day.

“We work every day with one thing in mind, it’s winning the next game, having the winning mentality.

“For me, I expect that and I want to work as hard as I can, like I did when I first came.”

Popular posts from this blog

Leeds United handed boost as ‘genuinely class’ star confirms his commitment to the club - YEP 4/8/23

Leeds United in ‘final stages’ of £10m deal for Premier League defender as Jack Harrison exit looms - YEP 13/8/23

Wilfried Gnonto latest as talks ongoing between Everton and Leeds despite £38m+ claims - Goodison News 1/9/23